Аuthor: S. Bilokrynytska, PhD Student ORCID ID: 0000-0001-5272-6776
Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Kyiv, Ukraine
Annotation: The world trend of entrepreneurship development has not passed over Ukraine and is increasing its significance with the participation of universities. The research studies entrepreneurial universities and their role in the region and the country’s economy. The research demonstrates that there is no standardized approach to defining an entrepreneurial university and its main characteristics. Given the above, we have defined the meaning of an entrepreneurial university based on the methodology, including its role in the country. The rankings of the leading universities in Ukraine were analyzed so that the mutual features could be set. The research has proved the main hypotheses about the effectiveness of the implementation of the entrepreneurial universities model based on the indexes and rankings, which estimate their academic, research, and publishing activity. Based on the research results, some universities in Ukraine were defined as the ones whose functioning model is close to that of an entrepreneurial university. Three leading Ukrainian universities were assessed using the main criteria of their financial activity, competitiveness, and the sector’s attractiveness. Based on SPACE-analysis, development strategies for domestic entrepreneurial universities were determined. As a result, the practices should ensure innovation implementation, contribute to higher education and secure competitive positions.
Keywords: entrepreneurial university, strategic analysis, SPACE-analysis, higher education.
1st Revision: 20/10/2022
References (in Latin): Translation / Transliteration/ Transcription
1. Audretsch, D. (2014). From the entrepreneurial university to the university for the entrepreneurial society. The Journal of Technology Transfer,
39 (3), 313–321. doi: 10.1007/s10961-012-9288-1
2. Baldini, N., Fini, R., Grimaldi, R., & Sobrero, M. (2014). Organizational change and the institutionalization of university patenting
activity in Italy. MINERVA, 52, 27–53. doi: 10.1007/s11024-013-9243-9
3. Belitski, M., Aginskaja, A., & Marozau, R. (2019). Commercializing university research in transition economies: Technology transfer offices or
direct industrial funding? Research Policy, 48 (3), 601–615.
4. Clark Burton, R. (2008). Creating Entrepreneurial Universities: Organizational Pathways of Transformation. IAU PRESS. ISSUES IN
HIGHER EDUCATION / Wagon Lane, Binglye BD16 1WA. – U.K.: Emerald Group Publishing Limited. Howard House.
5. Davies, G. H., Flanagan, J., Bolton, D., & Joyce. N. (2021).
University knowledge spillover from an open innovation technology transfer context. Knowledge Management Research & Practice, 19 (1), 84–93.
6. Di Gregorio, D., & Shane, S. (2003). Why do some universities generate more start-ups than others? Research Policy, 32 (2), 209–227. doi:
7. Dill, D. (1995). University-industry entrepreneurship: the organization and management of American university technology transfer units. Higher
Education. Vol. 29, No. 4. Р. 369–384.
8. Etzkowitz, H. (2003). Research groups as ‘quasi-firms’: The invention of the entrepreneurial university. Research Policy, 32 (1), 109–121. doi:
9. Fayolle, A., & Redford, D. (2014). Introduction: Towards more entrepreneurial universities – myth or reality? In A. Fayolle & D. Redford
(Eds.), Handbook on the entrepreneurial university (p. 1–10). Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.
10. Gordon, I., Hamilton, E., & Jack, S. (2012). A study of a universityled entrepreneurship education programme for small business
owner/managers. Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, 24 (9-10), 767–805. doi: 10.1080/08985626.2011.566377
11. Guerrero, M., Cunningham, J., & Urbano, D. (2015). Economic impact of entrepreneurial universities’ activities: An exploratory study of the
United Kingdom. Research Policy, 44 (3), 748–764. doi: 10.1016/j.respol.2014.10.008
12. Hay, D. B., Butt, F., Kirby, D. A. (2002). Academics as Entrepreneurs in a UK University. In G. Williams (ed.) The Enterprising
University. Reform, Excellence and Equity. Buckingham: SRHE & Open University Press. Р. 132–141.
13. Jacob, M., Lundqvist, M., Hellsmark, H. (2003). Entrepreneurial transformations in the Swedish University system: the case of Chalmers
University of Technology. Research Policy. Vol. 32. Is. 9. Р. 1555–1569.
14. Johnstone, A., & Huggins, R. (2016). Drivers of university – industry links: The case of knowledge-intensive business service firms in rural
locations. Regional Studies, 50 (8), 1330–1345. doi: 10.1080/00343404.2015.1009028
15. Larty, J., Jack, S., & Lockett, N. (2016). Building regions: A resource-based view of a policy-led knowledge exchange network. Regional
Studies, 51 (7), 994–1007. doi: 10.1080/00343404.2016
16. Miller, D. J., & Acs, Z. J. (2017). The campus as an entrepreneurial ecosystem: The University of Chicago. Small Business Economics, 49, 75.
17. Ropke, J. (2000). The Entrepreneurial University, Innovation, academic knowledge creation and regional development in a globalized
economy. Working Paper Department of Economics, Philipps-Universitet Marburg, Germany.
18. Rose, M., Decter, M., Robinson, S., & Lockett, N. (2012). Opportunities, contradictions and attitudes: The paradox of universitybusiness
engagement since 1960. Business History, 55 (2), 259–279. doi:10.1080/00076791.2012.704512
19. Stevenson, H. H. (2000). Why entrepreneurship has won! Coleman White Paper, USASBE Plenary Address.
20. Williams, G. (2003). The Enterprising University: Reform, Excellence and Equiy/ Edited by Gareth Williams. Buckingham [England];
Philadelphia, PA: Society for Research into Higher Education: Open University Press.
21. Report on financial results. Lviv Polytechnic National University. Retrieved from: lpnu.ua/planovo-finansovyi-viddil/zvit-pro-finansovirezultaty (Accessed 20.09.2022) [in Ukrainian]
22. Report on financial results for 2021 of V. N. Karazin Kharkiv National University. Retrieved from: old.karazin.ua/ua/general/docs/ budget (Accessed 20.11.2022) [in Ukrainian]
23. Financial Report for 2021 of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv. Retrieved from: www.univ.kiev.ua/ua/official (Accessed 22.09.2022) [in Ukrainian]
24. Kaleniuk, I., Dyachenko, A. (2016). Entrepreneurial universities in the global educational space / International economic policy, 2, p. 59–75. Retrieved from: http://nbuv.gov.ua/UJRN/Mep_2016_2_6 (Accessed 15.09.2022) [in Ukrainian]
25. Consolidated rating of higher education institutions of Ukraine in 2022. Osvita.UA. Retrieved from: osvita.ua/vnz/rating/51741/ (Accessed 23.09.2022) [in Ukrainian]
26. Entrepreneurial University – a new year of development of innovations and start-up projects in institutions of higher education. Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine. Retrieved from: mon.gov.ua/ua/news/pidpriyemnickij-universitet-novij-rik-rozvitku-innovacij-ta-startapproyektiv-u-zakladah-vishoyi-osviti (Accessed 19.10.2022) [in Ukrainian]
27. Redchenko, K. (2003). Strategic analysis in business: training manual [2nd addition]. Novy Svit – 2000, p. 272 [in Ukrainian]
28. Ranking of Ukrainian universities “Top-200 Ukraine 2022”. Retrieved from: euroosvita.net/index.php/?category=1&id=7420 (Accessed 15.09.2022) [in Ukrainian]
29. Reform of education and science. Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine. Retrieved from: www.kmu.gov.ua/diyalnist/reformi/rozvitoklyudskogo-kapitalu/reforma-osviti (Accessed 15.09.2022) [in Ukrainian]
30. Romanovsky, O. (2012). The phenomenon of entrepreneurship in the universities of the world: [monograph]. Vinnytsia, Nova Knyha, p. 503 [in Ukrainian]
31. Starostina, A., Kravchenko, V. (2011). The essence and practical application of the method of construction of the categorical apparatus of economic science (on the example of the concepts “globalization” and “entrepreneurial risk”). Bulletin of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv. Economics. No. 128, p. 5–10 [in Ukrainian]
32. Financial and budgetary report for 2021 of Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute. Retrieved from: kpi.ua/index.php/2021-def (Accessed 15.09.2022) [in Ukrainian]