The paper considers the problems of financing higher education institutions and focuses on formation of estimates of higher education institutions in Ukraine. The study established that the public and municipal education institutions financed by estimate and budget, which is determined by the amount and directions of use funds for implementation of functions and achieving the goals. The estimate has 2 components: general and special fund. The paper describes the practice of using general and special funds of higher education institutions. The results present the features of financing public and private higher education institutions. Public higher education institutions acutely feel the lack of financial resources. Tuition fees at public higher education institutions are calculated according to the requirements of the budget legislation. The conclusions suggest the prospects of financing higher education institutions in Ukraine. Higher education institutions need to give special attention to financial planning, optimization of financing sources and expenditures. It is necessary to reform the models, methods and forms of financing higher education sector.
Keywords: financing, estimate, general fund, special fund, budget funds, expenditures.
1. Human development in Ukraine: an innovative measurement, Ed. E.M Libanova. K . Institute of Demography and Social Studies NAS of Ukraine, 2008. 383 p.
2. The modern economic education: Ukraine and the Bologna Process, Ed. V.D Basylevych. K .Znannia, 2006.– 326 p.
3. Problems of higher education quality, K. Kosak and others, Academy of Pedagogical Sciences of
Ukraine, Institute of Higher Education, V. Kremen, V. Andruschenko, V. Luhovyi and others, Kyiv Pedagogichna dumka,2007. 233 p.
4. Kremen V.H. Education and science in Ukraine – innovative aspects. Strategy. Implementation. Results, Kyiv, Hramota, 2005. 448 p.
5. Grishnova O.A. Labour economics and social and labor relations, 5th ed., updated. Kyiv, Znannia, 2011. 390 p.
6. Heyets V.M. The innovative prospects of Ukraine, Kharkiv Konstanta, 2006. 272 p.
7. The Budget Code of Ukraine Available at http://zakon4.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/2456-17
8. Law of Ukraine “On Higher Education” Available at http://zakon4.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/1556-18
9. Kasych A.O. Features of financing higher education in Ukraine and other countries,
Electronic science specialized edition “The Effective Economy” Available at
10. Butska O. Educational activity of higher education institutions and its financial provision, Relevant problems of economics. 2009. Vol. 4. P. 159-165.
11. Boholib T.M. Financial provision of development of higher education and science in transformation period [monograph], Kyiv Millennium, 2006. 506 p.
12. OECD Statistics, Available at http://www.oecd.org
13. Academic ranking of world universities Available at http://www.shanghairanking.com/
14. Boholib T.M. Improving of financial provision of higher education, Visnyk TGEU, 2006. Vol. 3. P. 76-87.
15. Activity and data from the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine, Available at http://www.mon.gov.ua