The purpose of the present paper is to identify if the congruence of the consumers personality with the perceived brand per-sonality increases their brand preferences. To achieve this purpose, the paper was structured in two parts; the first part contains a general literature review of the consumer behaviour theory and its influence factors and a more specific one regarding the con-sumer’s and brand personality concepts. The second part describes the used research methodology for achieving the paper’s purpose. The results of the underlying exploratory research confirmed the hypothesis that an overlapping of the consumers’ personality and the brand personality they perceive is positively correlated with their brand preferences.
Keywords: Brand Personality, Consumer Behavior, Trait Theory, Consumer Personality.
1. Aaker, J.L.. Dimensions of brand personality, Journal of Marketing Research, 1997, Vol.34 (3). DOI: 10.2307/3151897.
2. Allport G., în Golu M. Fundamentele Psihologiei – Ed. a V-a, vol II, Editura Fundaţiei România de Mâine, Bucureşti, 2007, p. 759.
3. Allport, G. W. în Cătoiu, I.; Teodorescu, N., Comportamentul consumatorului, Ed. a II-a, Editura Uranus, București, 2004, p. 75.
4. Azevedo, A.; Pessoa, F. Clothing Branding Strategies: Influence of Brand Personality on Advertising Response, Journal of Textile and Apparel, Technology and Management, 2005, 4(3).
5. Allport G., în Zlate, M. (n.d.). Fundamentele psihologiei,.Editura Pro Humanitate, pg. 140.
6. Belk, R., W., în Cătoiu, I.; Teodorescu, N. Comportamentul consumatorului, Ediția a II-a, Editura Uranus, București, 2004, pg. 53.
7. Cătoiu, I., Teodorescu, N. Comportamentul consumatorului, Ediția a II-a, Editura Uranus, București, 2004, pg. 64.
8. Committee of Definitions, Ralph S. Alexander. Marketing definitions a glossary of marketing terms, American Marketing Associations. Chicago, 1969.
9. Golu M. Fundamentele Psihologiei – Ed. a V-a, vol, II, Editura Fundaţiei România de Mâine, Bucureşti, 2007,pg. 753.
10. Kao J. Is It A Foreign Product? A Scale to Classify Products In An Era Of Globalization”, Advances In Consumer Research, Vol. 31, 2004, pg. 689.
11. Kotler, P., Keller, L. K. Managementul Marketingului, Ediția a V-a, Editura Teora, 2008.
12. Kotler, P., Armstrong, G. Defining Marketing and the Marketing Process. in Principles of Marketing, 14th Edition, New Jersey: Pearson Prentice Hall, 2012, pg. 20.
13. Kotler, P., Armstrong, G., Wong, V., & Saunders, J. Principles of Marketing, 5th Ed, Financial Times/Prentice Hall, 2008.
14. Kotler, P., Kartajaya, H., & Setiawan, I. From Products to Customers to the Human Spirit. Marketing 3.0., New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons Inc, 2012.
15. Schiffman, L., G.; Kanuk, L., L. Consumer Behaviour, Second Edition, Pearson Education, 2012.
16. Solomon, M. R. Consumer Behavior: Buying, Having, and Being. Upper Saddle River, N.J: Pearson/Prentice Hall, 2004.
17. Ueltschy L., C., Krampf, R. F. Cultural Sensitivity to Satisfaction and Service Quality Measures, Journal of Marketing Theory