The category of sunk costs is studied along with specific features of entry barriers. Different scientific approaches in defining a category are compared to make author’s own. The study elucidates a role of sunk costs, including its influence on researching a market, evaluating an efficiency of entering into market and evaluating its risk. The paper highlights three main components of sunk costs, that are: investments to reduce production costs of incumbents relative to newcomers, investments to change a structure of rival’s costs and investments to positive change of a demand on a product. Author proposes to consider sunk costs as a strategic barrier, due to a huge influence of incumbents’ activities. A need to invest these costs also determines a high competitiveness of a new firm.
Keywords: sunk costs, barriers to entry, strategic behavior of a firm, decision making about entering into foreign market.
- John Sutton. Sunk Costs and Market Structure. Price Competition, Advertising, and the Evolution of Concentration. The MIT Press Cambridge, Massachusetts, London, England, 1996, p.555.
- Caves R.E., Porter M.E., 1977. From entry barriers to mobility barriers. Quarterly Journal of Economics, vol. 91, p. 241–262.
- Jan Horst Keppler, 2009. Barriers to entry: abolishing the barriers to understanding. Journal of Public Finance and Public Choice, vol. 27 (2-3), p. 99-124.
- Michael Spence, 1977. Entry, Capacity, Investment and Oligopolistic Pricing. The Bell Journal of Economics, 8 (2), p. 534-544.
- David Harbord, Tom Hoehn, 1994. Barriers to entry and exit in European competition policy. Internatinal Review of Law and Economics, vol. 14, p. 411-435.
- Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1987. Technological Change, Sunk Costs, and Competition. Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, vol. 3, p. 883-947.
- Peter F. Orazem, Mo Xiao, 2011. Does the fourth entrant make any difference? Entry and competition in the early U.S. broadband market. International Journal of Industrial Organization, vol. 29, p. 547-561.
- Horizontal Merger Guidelines [Elektronnyy resurs] // Department of Justice of the US [sayt] – Rezhym dostupu: http://www.justice.gov/atr/public/guidelines/hmg.htm