Our paper uses statistical tools with the aim of empirically investigating the institutional determinants of foreign direct in- vestments (FDI) in Romania. The analysis is focused on the public policies that are relevant from the FDI perspective between 2002 and 2012; more specifically, we direct our approach towards identifying the manner in which state controlled instruments can be employed in order to increase the country’s performance in terms of attracting FDI. The variables we use are the inflows of FDI to Romania, on one hand, and the set of Worldwide Governance Indicators of the World Bank on the other hand.
Keywords: Foreign direct investment, Romania, FDI determinants, institutional theory.
1. Altomonte, C. FDI in the CEEC’s and the Theory of Real Options: An Empirical Assessment, Discussion Paper 76. [Online], Leuven, LICOS, 1998, http://feb.kuleuven.be/drc/licos/publications/dp/dp76.pdf
2. Assuncao, S., Forte, R., Teixeira, A. Location Determinants of FDI: a Literature Review, Working Paper 433. [Online], Porto, FEP, October 2011, http://wps.fep.up.pt/wps/wp433.pdf
3. Benassy-Quere A., Coupet M., Mayer T. Institutional Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment // The World Economy, 2007. – Vol. 30. – P. 764–782.
4. Busse, M., Hefeker, C. Political risk, institutions and foreign direct investment // European Journal of Political Economy, 2007. – Vol. 23. – P. 397-415.
5. Claessens S., Oks, D., Polastri R. Capital Flows to Central and Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. In Capital Flows and the Emerging Economies: Theory, Evidence, and Controversies, ed. S. Edwards, S., Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2000, p. 299-339, DOI: dx.doi.org/10.1596/1813-9450-1976
6. Garibaldi, P., Mora, N., Sahay, R., Zettelmeyer, J. What Moves Capital in Transition Economies, Staff Papers 64. [Online], Washington, IMF, April 2002, https://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/wp/2002/wp0264.pdf
7. Globerman, S., Shapiro, D. Global Foreign Direct Investment Flows: The Role of Governance Infrastructure // World Development, 2002. – Vol. 30. – P. 1899-1919, DOI: 10.1016/S0305-750X(02)00110-9
8. Horobet, A. Searching For Causes Of The Current Financial Crisis: On Risk Underassessment And Ignorance // Review of Economic and Business Studies, 2010. – Vol. 5. – P. 195-200.
9. Horobet, A., Lupu, I., Dumitrescu D.G. Despre cauzele crizei financiare actuale: subevaluarea riscului şi complexitatea sistemului financiar // Sfera Politicii, 2010, – Vol. 148. – P. 44-48.
10. Kaufmann, D., Kraay, A., Mastruzzi, M. The Worldwide Governance Indicators: Methodology and Analytical Issues, Working Paper 5430. [Online], World Bank Policy Research, Washington, September 2010, http://elibrary.worldbank.org/doi/abs/10.1596/1813-9450-5430, DOI: dx.doi.org/ 10.1596/1813-9450-5430
11. Kinoshita,Y.,Campos,N.F.WhydoesFDIgowhereitgoes?New evidence from the transition economies, Working Paper 228. [Online], William Davidson Institute, Washington, November 2003, https://www.imf.org/ external/pubs/ft/wp/2003/wp03228.pdf
12. National Bank of Romania and National Institute of Statistics. Foreign Direct Investment in Romania in 2013 [Online], http://www.bnr.ro/ Foreign-direct-investment-(FDI)-in-Romania-3213.aspx