Existing methods of measuring economic component of national soft power are mainly based on surveys of public opinion. Their results are summarized. We elaborate and test an index of soft economic power based on webometric approach. The index measures the amount of economic information about a country in the internet and the ratio of positive and negative information. The information usually reflects economic situation in a country, news, conditions for business, efficiency of governance, returns or economic relations with other countries. The leaders by the soft economic power index are the EU, the U,S, and China, The correlation between the index and the share in world GDP is high, but several outliers were detected. English-speaking countries tend to be overrepresented in the internet. Despite several advantages of the suggested approach, use of the index as the sole method of measurement is problematic, because other language bias, occasional double counting, imperfect classification of information as positive or negative, and imprecise results for small countries.
Keywords: soft power, economic power, country image, country brand.
- Kucherenko, K., 2014, Estimation of Influence of Global Factors of Risk on the Process of Forming of International Tourist Brand Bulletin of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv. Economics, 156, pp. 94-100, (ukr.). DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.17721/1728-2667.2014/156-3/18
- FutureBrand, 2015. Country Brand Index 2014-201[online]. Available at: <http://www.mumbrella.asia/content/uploads/2014/11/CountryBrandIndex2014.pdf > [Accessed 05November 2015].
- FutureBrand, n.d. Made in. The Value of Country of Origin for Future [online] Available at: <http://www.futurebrand.com/images/uploads/studies/cbi/MADE_IN_Final_HR.pdf> [Accessed 05 November 2015].
- Growth from Knowledge, n.d. Place Branding Research. [online] Available at: <https://www.gfk.com/Documents/ GfK-Place-Branding.pdf> [Accessed 05 November 2015].
- Growth from Knowledge, 2014.Germany Knocks USA off Top Spot for ‘Best Nation’ after 5 Years.[online] Available at: <https://www.gfk.com/news-and-events/press-room/press-releases/pages/germany-knocks-usa-off-best-nation- top-spot.aspx> [Accessed 05 November 2015].
- Anholt S., n.d. The Good Country Index. [online] Available at: <http://www.goodcountry.org/index_intro> [Accessed 05 November 2015].
- European Commission, n.d. Eurobarometer Surveys. [online] Available at: <http://ec.europa.eu/public_opinion/index_en.htm> [Accessed 05 November 2009]
- European Commission, TNS Political & Social, 2015. Preferences of Europeans towards Tourism: Flash Eurobarometer Report, DOI: 10.2873/632880
- Whitney, C. B., & Shambaugh, D. Soft Power in Asia: Results of a 2008 Multinational Survey of Public Opinion, New Results and Analysis, 2009 edition, Chicago Council on Global Affairs, 2009.
- Cardoso, A. R., Guimaraes, P., Zimmermann, K. F., 2010. Trends in Economic Research: An International Perspective. Kyklos, 63 (4), pp. 479-494. DOI: 10.1111/j.1467-6435.2010.00484.x
- Kharlamova, G., 2015, The Degree of State’s Globalization Assessment in Aspects and Convergence and Integration in the World Bulletin of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv. Economics, 171, pp. 65-73, (ukr.). DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.17721/1728-2667.2015/171-6/12
- Romaniuk, I., 2015, The System of Statistical Objective and Subjective Indicators of Measuring Quality of Life. Bulletin of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv. Economics, 169, pp. 46-52. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/17721/1728-2667.2015/169-4/8
- Google, n.d. Google. [online]. Available at: <https://www.google.com.ua> [Accessed 29 October 2015].
- International Monetary Fund, 2015. World Economic Outlook Databases. October 2015 Edition. [online] Available at: <http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/weo/2015/02/weodata/index.aspx> [Accessed 29 October 2015].