The article presents theoretical and practical approaches in determining the features of insurance intermediation. It characterizes the traditional model of selling insurance products and modern multi-channel sales model of insurance services. It identifies the main legal acts that regulate the activities of insurance intermediaries in the European Union.
In the article analyzed the activity of insurance intermediaries in the EU. The main channels of sales of insurance products are determined. The shares of premiums of insurance intermediaries in the volume of insurance premiums and in the GDP of the insurance markets of European countries are defined. The number of employees who are involved in insurance intermediary in the European countries is investigated. The European experience of insurance agents and insurance brokers in non-life insurance and life insurance is considered. It’s analyzed the activity of insurance brokers in the Ukraine. The main trends and problems of the development of insurance intermediaries in the insurance market of Ukraine are defined.
Keywords: insurance intermediary; insurance agent; insurance broker; sales channels of insurance products; EU directives.
Date of submission 11.02.2016
- Insurance KNEU club, 2013 The role of insurance agents, insurance brokers in the providing, improving quality of insurance services [online] Available at: <http://pck.kneu.edu.ua/?p=225>[Accessed 20 February 2016].
- Swiss Re, 2015. Digital distribution in insurance: a quiet revolution. Sigma 2/2014. [online] Available at: <http://www.the-digital-insurer.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/295-sigma2_2014_en.pdf> [Accessed 15 February 2016].
- Sabirova A., 2013 Online insurance as an alternative channel of promotion and marketing of insurance products [electronic resource]. [online] Economics, Management, Finance: Theory and Practice (m. Khmelnitsky, 11-12 October 2013). Available at: <http://molodyvcheny.in.ua/files/conf/eko/01okt13/52.pdf>[Accessed 20 February 2016].
- The Statistics Portal, 2015. The number of agents, brokers and employees in the insurance industry in the US. [online] Available at: <http://www.statista.com/statistics/194232/number-of-us-insurance-brokers-and-service-employees/> [Accessed 15 February 2016].
- BIPAR, 2015. The European Federation of Insurance Intermediaries Annual Report 06/2014 – 06/2015. [online] Available at: <https://www.wko.at/Content.Node/branchen/oe/sparteJuc/Versicherungsmakler-und-Berater-in-Versicherungsangelegenheiten/BIPAR-annual-report-2014-2015.pdf> [Accessed 16 February 2016].
- European Insurance, 2015. European Insurance – Key Facts – August 2015. [online] Available at: <http://www.insuranceeurope.eu/sites/default/files/attachments/European%20Insurance%20-%20Key%20Facts%20- %20August%202015.pdf> [Accessed 15 February 2016].
- European Insurance, 2015. Related statistics. [online] Available at: <http://www.insuranceeurope.eu/insurance- distribution> [Accessed 16 February 2016].
- BIPAR, 2015. Insurance Intermediaries in Europe – September 2012 Report prepared by London Economics for BIPAR. [online] Available at: <http://www.bipar.eu/en/library/economic-data> [Accessed 16 February 2016].
- Pikus R., 2009. International experience of insurance intermediaries. The Bulletin of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kiev. Economics, 107/108, pp. 20-23. DOI: 10.17721
- Tkachenko A., 2013. Intermediaries in the insurance market of Ukraine. Theoretical and practical aspects of the economy and intellectual propert, 1 (Vol.1), pp. 130-132.
- Yaremenko N., 2012. Institute of Evolution of brokers in the global insurance market. Proceedings of the National University of the State Tax Service of Ukraine, 2, pp. 286-291.