The assessment of the current state and prospects of social entrepreneurship development in Ukraine based on qualitative and quantitative SWOT analysis, taking into account the synergy between the opportunities and threats, strengths and weaknesses of the object are suggested and conducted in the article. The expert survey method was applied to evaluate the factors are identified through SWOT analysis.
The priority areas of social entrepreneurship development in Ukraine had been identified on the basis of the sophisticated matrix of the SWOT- analysis. The overriding objectives of social entrepreneurship development in Ukraine are making public authorities as well as civil society aware of the solutions required for the problems of social entrepreneurship development in Ukraine through media and communications.
The adoption of the Act on social entrepreneurship and its support at the national, regional and local level; the formulation and adoption of the special long-term development programmes to promote social entrepreneurship, introduce legislation to set up a specific registration system for social enterprises, including the regularly monitoring of their activities – the measures are necessary to achieve more effective implementation and increasing the scope and scale of social entrepreneurship in Ukraine.
The establishment of the education programmes in the field of social entrepreneurship in the universities, organizing and conduction of teaching workshops, trainings, and courses on social entrepreneurship for the wide public – would give new impetus to the development of social entrepreneurship in Ukraine as the source of the citizens’ initiatives.
Keywords: social entrepreneurship, social enterprises, SWOT-analysis, quality of life, social innovation.
Date of submission 23.06.16
- Dobele, L, Social entrepreneurship problems and solutions: a case study of Latvia. In: West East Journal of Social Sciences, 1 (1), pp. 11-25, [online] Available at: http://www.westeastinstitute.com/joumals/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/2-Lasma-Dobele-FuN-Paper-Social-Entrepreneurship-Problems- And-Solutions-A-Case-Study-Of-Latvia.pdf
- Boschee, J., McClurg, J., Toward a better understanding of social entrepreneurship: some important distinctions. National Centre for Social Entrepreneurs, [online] Available at: <http://www.caledonia.org.uk/papers/Social-Entrepreneurship.pdf> [Accessed 15 June 2016].
- Zahra, S. A., Gedajlovic, E., Neubaum, D. O., & Shulman, J. M., A typology of social entrepreneurs: Motives, search processes and ethical challenges. Journal of business venturing, 24, pp. 519-532. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/jjbusvent.2008.04.007
- Lauzikas,, & Cernikovaite, M. E., 2011. The model of social innovations in the emerging market of Lithuania. Intelekline ekonomika, 5 (3), pp. 388-400.
- Berezyak, I., Foreign experience and domestic realities of becoming a social enterprise. Scientific Proceedings of the National University “Ostroh Academy”. Series: Economy, [online] Available at: <http://nbuv.gov.ua/UJRN/Nznuoa_2014_25_8> [Accessed 3 May 2016].
- Galushka, Z. I., The phenomenon of social entrepreneurship: concept and prospects in Ukraine. Bulletin of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv. Economics, 148, pp. 15-17. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.17721/1728-2667.2013/148-2M
- Grishnova, O. A, Mishchuk, G. U., Social innovation in labor sphere: substance, types and features of implementation in Ukraine. Demography and social economy, 2 (20), pp. 167-178.
- Kireyeva, O. B., Social entrepreneurship as a tool of social policy. Actual problems of state and local government, [online] Available at: <http://www.dbuapa.dp.ua/zbirnik/2011-02(6)/11kobdsp.pdf> [Accessed 2 May 2016].
- Mokiy, A. I., Development of social entrepreneurship in the context of strengthening the economic security of depressed areas. Bulletin of Chernivtsi Trade and Economic Institute. Economic science, [online] Available at: <http://nbuv.gov.ua/UJRN/Vchtei_2014_1_22> [Accessed 8 May 2016].
- Suprun, N. A., Social entrepreneurship as a mechanism for building solidarity economy. Social and economic solidarity – Ukrainian choice”: materials of international symposium, Kyiv, 28 January 2016, pp. 36-38.
- Kolot, A. M., 2012. Social responsibility: theory and development practice. Kyiv: KNEU Press, The Social and labor relations Institute.
- Mintzberg, G., Kuin, D. B. and Goshal, S., Strategic process: monograph. Translated from English by Y. N. Kapturevskyy. Moscow; Kharkiv; St. Petersburg: Peter.
- Maisak, O. S., SWOT-analysis: object, factors, strategies. The problem of relations between the factors search. Management and high technology, 1 (21), pp. 151-157.
- Yagudina, R. I., Kulikov, A. Y., Pharmacoeconomics: general information, research methods. New Pharmacy, 9, pp. 73-78.
- Social Entrepreneurship in Ukraine, 2016. 5 great opportunities for the development of social entrepreneurship in Ukraine. [online] Available at: <http://www.socialbusiness.in.ua/index.php/novyny/v-ukraini/156-5-velykykh-mozhlyvostei-dlia-rozvytku-sotsialnoho-pidpryiemnytstva-v-ukraini> [Accessed 10 June 2016].
- Grishnova, O. A., Human, intellectual and social capital of Ukraine: substance, correlation, assessment, development directions. Labor relations: theory and practice, 1, pp. 34-40.
- Kolot, A. M., Social and labor sphere: state of relations, new challenges and trends: monograph. Kyiv: KNEU Press.
- Oschadbank, 2016. Usaid / Western NIS enterprise fund and Oschadbank started a lending programme for social enterprises. [online] Kyiv: Oschadbank. Available at: <http://www.oschadbank.ua/ua/press-service/news/4333761/> [Accessed 10 May 2016].
- NGO “Pidmoha.info”, 2016. [online] Available at: <http://pidmoga.info/> [Accessed 16 June 2016].
- Brock, D. D., Social entrepreneurship, teaching resources handbook. [online] Arlington: The Ashoka Global Academy for Social Entrepreneurship. Available at: <https://www.academia.edu/11866932/Social_Entrepreneurship_Teaching_Resources_Handbook> [Accessed 16 June 2016].
- Yunus, M., Joly, A., Creating a world without poverty: social business and the future of capitalism. Moscow: Alpina Publisher.
- Volodymyr Poltavets School of Social Work, 2016. [online] Available at: <http://ssw.ukma.edu.ua/ssw-staff> [Accessed 10 May 2016].
- Social Innovation School Berlin, 2016. [online] Available at: <http://soinschool.org/the-school> [Accessed 10 June 2016].
- Eastern Europe Fund, 2016. EEF and partners announce a competition for the realization of information campaigns to promote the idea of social entrepreneurship in Ukraine. [online] Available at: < http://www.eef.org.ua/ua/component/k2/item/503-fsye-ta-partnery-oholoshuiut-konkurs-na-realizatsiiu- informatsiinykh-kampanii-z-populiaryzatsii-idei-sotsialnoho-pidpryiemnytstva-v-ukraini.html> [Accessed 1 June 2016].
- Transparency International, 2015. Corruption perceptions index 01/01/2015 to 31/12/2015 [statistics]. Retrieved from http://www.transparency.org/cpi2015