A good indicator for the financial markets performance in different countries is the evolution of mutual funds in terms of their inflows and outflows. The goal of the present paper is to analyse the performance of the mutual funds in Slovakia. The research objectives are twofold: to study the flows of funds into and out of mutual funds from Slovakia during the period 2007-2014 and to analyse how investors in Slovakian mutual funds behave in terms of their investment choice. The analysis focuses on identifying patterns in investors’ decision making process and on examining the similarity of their behavioural patterns with the ones identified at international level.
Key words. Mutual funds, Slovakia, financial portfolio performance, emerging markets.
Date of submission 15.05.16
- Alexakis C., Niarchos N., Patra T., Poshakwale S. The dynamics between stock returns and mutual fund flows: empirical evidence from the Greek market // International Review of Financial Analysis, 2004. – Vol. 14. – P. 559-569.
- Barber B., Odean T. Trading is hazardous to your wealth: the common stock investment performance of individual investors // The Journal of Finance, 2000. – Vol. 55. – P. 773-806.
- Bodie, Z, Kane, A., Marcus, A. Investments // Irwin – McGraw Hill, 2003. – 1153 p.
- Chatfield-Roberts, J. The secrets of successful fund investing // Petersfield – Harriman House Publishing, 2006. – 166 p.
- Cha, H., Kim, J. Stock Prices and equity mutual fund flows: a macro approach, Working paper. Oklahoma State University, 2007.
- Fu, R., Navone, M., Pagani, M., Pantos, T.D. The determinants of the convexity in the flow-performance relationship // Journal of Index Investing, 2012. – Vol. 3. – P. 81-95, http://dx.doi.org/10.3905/jii.2012.32.081
- Goetzmann, W.B., Peles, N. Cognitive dissonance and mutual fund investors // Journal of Finance Research, 1997. – Vol. 20. – P. 145-158, http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-6803.1997.tb00241.x
- Grinblatt, M., Sheridan, R. The persistence of mutual fund performance // Journal of Finance, 1992. – Vol. 47. – P. 1977-1984, http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j1540-6261.1992.tb04692.x
- Ippolito, R.A. Consumer reaction to measures of poor quality: Evidence from the mutual fund industry // Journal of Law and Economics, 1992. – Vol. 35. – P. 45-70, http://dx.doi.org/10.1086/467244
- Meyer, B. The value of weekly fund flow data – how fund flow data helps to improve tactical asset allocation. Cross asset strategy [Online], Commerzbank, http://www.epfr.com/Case_Studies/CAF_Commerzbank.pdf
- Patel, J., Zeckhauser, R., Hendricks, D. The Rationality Struggle: Illustrations from Financial Markets // American Economic Review, 1991. – Vol. 81. – P. 232-236.
- Sirri, E., Tufano, P. Costly search and mutual funds flows // Journal of Finance, 1998. – Vol. 53 – P. 1589-1622, http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/0022-1082.00066
- Tudorache, F.G., Nicolescu, L., Lupu, R. The performance of mutual funds in Hungary, Proceedings of the International Conference The Future of Europe, 12-13 November 2015, Bucharest.
- The Fund Managers’ Association from Slovakia [Online] // Access at http://www.ass.sk