The paper considers and presents synthesis of theoretical models of balance of payment crisis and investigates the most effective ways to model the crisis in Ukraine. For mathematical formalization of balance of payment crisis, comparative analysis of the effectiveness of different calculation methods of Exchange Market Pressure Index was performed. A set of indicators that signal the growing likelihood of balance of payments crisis was defined using signal approach. With the help of minimization function thresholds indicators were selected, the crossing of which signalize increase in the probability of balance of payment crisis.
Keywords: balance of payments crisis; signal approach; Exchange Market Pressure Index; exchange rate; international reserves.
Date of submission 20.11.16
- Kaminsky, G.,1999. Currency and banking crises: the early warnings of distress. IMF working paper 99/178.
- Kaminsky, G., Lizondo, S., Reinhart, C., 1998. Leading Indicators of Currency Crises. IMF Staff Paper, 45 (1), pp. 1-48.
- Kaminsky, G., Reinhart C., 1999. The Twin Crises: The Causes of Banking and Balance-of-Payments Problems. American Econ. Rev., 89 (3), pp. 473-500.
- Krugman, P.R.,1979. A model of balance-of-payments crises. Journal of money, credit and banking, 11 (3), pp. 311-325.
- Krugman, P.R.,Rogoff, K.S., Fischer, S., McDonough, W. J., 1999. Currency crises. National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc. NBER Chapters, pp. 421-466.
- Flood, R.P., Garber, P. M., 1984. Collapsing exchange rate regimes. Some Linear examples. Journal of International Economics,17, pp. 1-13.
- Obstfeld, M., 1982. Aggregate spending and the terms of trade: Is there a Laursen-Metzler effect? Quarterly Journal of Economics, 97, pp. 251-270.
- Chernyak, O.I., Khomyak, V. R., 2011. Crisis of the Balance of Payments: Factors, Indicators and Prevention Methods. Economics and Forecasting, 4, pp. 27-37.
- Bussiere, M., 2007. Balance of Payment crisis in emerging markets. How early were the “early” warning signals? Working paper European Central bank. January, 2007. Access mode: http://www.suomenpankki.fi/pdf/128848.pdf.
- Corsetti, G., Pericoli, M., Sbracia, M., 2005. Some contagion, some interdependence: more pitfalls in tests of financial contagion J. International money and Finance, 24(1), pp. 123-141.
- Pesenti, P., Tille, C., 2000. The economics of currency crises and contagion: An introduction. Economic Journal, 4, pp. 140-152.
- Roubini, N., Wachtel, P., 2000. Current-Account sustainability in transition economies. 69 p.
- Canova, F., de Nicolo, G., 2002. Monetary disturbances matter for business fluctuations in the G-7. J. Monetary Economics, 49, pp. 1131-1159.
- Eichengreen, B., Rose, A. and Wyplosz, C., 1996. Contagious Currency crises: First Tests. Scandinavian Journal of Economics, 98 (4), pp. 463-484. DOI: dx.doi.org/10.2307/3440879.
- Eichengreen, B., Rose, A. and Wyplosz, C., 1995. Exchange Market Mayhem: The Antecedents and Aftermaths of Speculative Attacks.Econ. Policy., 21, pp. 249-312.
- Sachs, J.D., Tornell, A., Velasco, A., 1996. Financial Crises in Emerging Markets: The Lessons from 1995. Brooking Papers on Economic Activity., 1, pp. 47-215.
- Fratzscher, M.,Straub, R., 2010. Asset prices, news shocks and the current account. CEPR [Discussion Paper] № 8080, pp. 34-40.
- State Statistics Service of Ukraine. Access Mode: ukrstat.gov.ua/.
- Statistics: data National Bank of Ukraine. Access mode: http://www.bank.gov.ua/control/uk/publish/article?art_id=65162&cat_id=36674
- Database International financial statistics, International monetary Fund. Access mode: http://data.imf.org/