Evaluating absolute and comparative sustainability of farming enterprises is among the most topical issues for researchers, farmers, investors, administrators, politicians, interests groups and public at large. Nevertheless, in Bulgaria and most East European countries there are no comprehensive assessments on sustainability level of Bulgarian farms of different juridical type. This article applies a holistic framework and assesses absolute and comparative sustainability major farming structures in Bulgaria – unregistered farms of Natural Persons, Sole Traders, Cooperatives, and Companies. First, method of the study is outlined, and overall characteristics of surveyed farming enterprises presented. After that an assessment is made of integral, governance, economic, social, environmental sustainability of farming structures of different juridical type. Next, structure of farming enterprises with different sustainability levels is analyzed. Finally, conclusion from the study and directions for further research and amelioration of sustainability assessments suggested.
Keywords: farm sustainability, governance, economic, social, ecological aspects, Bulgaria.
Date of submission 05.02.2017
- Andreoli M. and V Tellarini (2000). Farm sustainability evaluation: methodology and practice, Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment, Volume 77, Issues 1-2, 43-52, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0167-8809(99)00091-2
- Bachev H. (2004). Efficiency of Agrarian Organizations, Available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=903483 or http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.903483
- Bachev H. (2005). Assessment of Sustainability of Bulgarian Farms, Available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=903501 or http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.903501
- Bachev H. (2010). Governance of Agrarian Sustainability, New York: Nova Science Publishers.
- Bachev H. (2013). Risk Management in Agri-food Sector, Contemporary Economics, Vol. 7 (1), 45-62, http://dx.doi.org/10.5709/ce.1897-9254.73
- Bachev H. (2016a). A Framework for Assessing Sustainability of Farming Enterprises, Journal of Applied Economic Sciences, Vol XI, 1(39), 24-43.
- Bachev H. (2016b). Sustainability of Farming Enterprise – Understanding, Governance, Evaluation, ЕКОНОМІКА, 2 (179), 6-15, http://dx.doi.org/10.17721/1728-2667.2016/179-2/1
- Bachev H. and A.Peeters (2005). Framework for Assessing Sustainability of Farms, in Farm Management and Rural Planning No 6, Kyushu University, 221-239.
- Bachev H, Koteva N., K.Kaneva, D.Terziev, and D.Vanev (2016). Sustainability of Bulgarian Farms during Reformed CAP Implementation, Proceedings of International Conference „Fostering agriculture innovation and business opportunities for rural renaissance”, October 27-28, 2016, Sofia.
- Bastianoni S, N. Marchettini, M. Panzieri, E. Tiezzi (2001). Sustainability assessment of a farm in the Chianti area (Italy), Journal of Cleaner Production, Volume 9, Issue 4, 365-373, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0959-6526(00)00079-2
- EC (2001). A Framework for Indicators for the Economic and Social Dimensions of Sustainable Agriculture and Rural Development, European Commission.
- FAO (2013). SAFA. Sustainability Assessment of Food and Agriculture systems indicators, FAO.
- Fuentes M. (2004). Farms Management Indicators Related to the Policy Dimension in the European Union, OECD Expert Meeting on Farm Management Indicators and the Environment, 8-12 March 2004, New Zealand
- Hani F., L. Pinter and H., Herren (2006). Sustainable Agriculture. From Common Principles to Common Practice, Proceedings of the first Symposium of the International Forum on Assessing Sustainability in Agriculture (INFASA), March 16, 2006, Bern, Switzerland.
- OECD (2001). Environmental indicators for agriculture. Volume 3: Methods and Results. OECD, Paris.
- Rigby D., P. Woodhouse, Young, M. Burton (2001). Constructing a farm level indicator of sustainable agricultural practice, Ecological Economics, Vol. 39, Issue 3, 463-478, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0921-8009(01)00245-2
- Sauvenier X., J. Valekx, N. Van Cauwenbergh, E. Wauters, H.Bachev. K.Biala, C. Bielders, V. Brouckaert, V. Gar- cia-Cidad, S. Goyens, M.Hermy, E. Mathijs, B.Muys, M.Vanclooster. and A.Peeters (2005). Framework for Assessing Sustainability Levels in Belgium Agricultural Systems – SAFE, Belgium Science Policy, Brussels.
- UN (2015). Transforming our world: the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, United Nations Resolution A/RES/70/1 of 25 September 2015.