This article reviews the changes of consumption patterns in the Ukrainian society over the last 25 years and the impact this transformation had on Ukrainian consumers. The author researches the market forces and the influence those market forces had on the consumer behavior. Finally, the author concludes that the market forces present on the Ukrainian market resulted in transforming consumption patterns and consumer behavior. In this scientific research also presents a critical analysis of the implications for the Ukrainian society and the possible choices of market models.
Keywords: Consumption, Consumer behavior, Ukrainian consumer, Ukrainian economy, Ukrainian society.
Date of submission 18.02.2017
- The State Statistics Service of Ukraine. (2016). Economic and Financial Data for Ukraine. Retrieved from: http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua
- The National Bank of Ukraine. (2016). Macroeconomic indicators. Retrieved from: https://bank.gov.ua/control/ en/publish/article?art_id=24038763&cat_id=47389
- Fleur J.M. Laros, Jan-Benedict E.M. Steenkamp (2005). Emotions in consumer behavior: a hierarchical approach. Journal of Business Research 58 (2005) 1437-1445.
- Roberts, J., Gwin, C., Carlos. R. M. (2004). The Influence of Family Structure on Consumer Behavior: A Re-Inquiry and Extension of Rindfleisch et.al (1997) in Mexico. Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice; Winter 2004; 12, 1.
- Tobacyk J. Babin B., Attaway J., Socha S., Shows D., James K. ( 2011). Materialism through the eyes of Polish and American consumers. Journal of Business Research 64 (2011) 944-950.
- Tomer, J. (2002). Intangible Factors in the Eastern European Transition: A Socio-Economic Analysis. PostCommunist Economies, Vol. 14, No. 4, 2002.
- Tsalikis, J., Seaton, B. (2008). Consumer Perceptions of Business Ethical Behavior in Former Eastern Block Countries. Journal of Business Ethics (2008) 82:919-928.
- Ukraine GDP (1987-2016). Retrieved from: http://www.tradingeconomics.com /ukraine/gdp.
- And the World’s Most Miserable Economies Are. Retrieved from: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/430861/
- The 15 Most Miserable Economies in the World. Retrieved from: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-03- 02/the-15-most-miserable-economies-in-the-world.
- Structure of total expenditure (1999-2013). Retreived from: https://ukrstat.org/en
- Maslow, A.H. (1943). A theory of human motivation. Psychological Review. 50 (4): 370-96. doi:10.1037/h0054346 – via psychclassics.yorku.ca
- Solomon, M.R. (1983). “The World of Products as Social Stimuli: A Symbolic Interactionism Perspective”, Journal of Consumer Research, 10, December, pp. 319-329
- Solomon, M.R. (1995). Consumer Behaviour, 3rd Ed., Prentice Hall Stayman, D.M. and Deshpande, R. (1989), “Situational Ethnicity and Consumer Behaviour”, Journal of Consumer Research, 16, December, pp. 361-371.
- Belk, R.W. (1974). “An Exploratory Assessment of Situational Effects in Buyer Behaviour”, Journal of Marketing Research, 11, May, pp. 156-163.
- Belk, R. W. (1988). “Possessions and the Extended Self’, Journal of Consumer Research, 15, September, pp. 139-168.
- Skinner, B.F. (1938). The Behaviour of Organisms, New York, Appleton- Century-Crofts. In East, R. (1990), Changing Consumer Behaviour, Cassell Educational Limited
- Slife, B.D. and Williams, R.N. (1995). What”s Behind The Research? Discovering Hidden Assumptions in the Behavioural Sciences, Sage: California