The European Union’s social policies of the last years aimed at improving the social conditions of youths across Europe. The goal of this paper is to comparatively analyse the characteristics of youths and their social conditions in the EU-27, during 2006- 2016, using the following indicators associated to the young population: youth education and training, employment and unemployment rates, health, social inclusion, culture and creativity, participation and youth in the digital world. The paper also reviews the impact and efficiency of the EU’s social policies in the current economic background, trying to catch the improvements in young people’s social conditions. For this purpose, there were used Employment and Social Conditions Indicators and “Europe 2020” Strategy Indicators.
Our analysis reveals that over time the youths’ aspirations and needs have changed along with their social conditions. The EU is obviously making progress in improving the social policies addressed to young people, but there are still visible differences between the member states and new, innovative approaches are required to respond to youths’ needs in the fast-changing economic and political context of Europe.
Key words: youth, social policy, social conditions, EU-27.
Date of submission 24.08.2017
- Duguleana C., Litra A.V., 2015. Macroeconomie, Transilvania University of Brasov Publisher, pp. 52-65, pp. 72-79, pp. 93-104.
- Colander, D. C., 1998. Macroeconomics. Third Edition, United States of America, Irwin/ McGraw-Hill, pp. 157-172.
- Council of the European Union. 2009. Council Resolution of 27 November 2009 on a renewed framework for European cooperation in the youth field (2010-2018), Official Journal of the European Union, 2009/C 311/01, pp.311/2 – 311/4.
- Council of the European Union. 2015. COUNCIL RESOLUTIONS, Resolution of the Council and of the Representatives of the Governments of the Member States, meeting within the Council, on a European Union Work Plan for Youth for 2016-2018, Official Journal of the European Union, 2015/C 417/01, pg. 417/1.
- Dumitrache, V., Raileanu Szeles, M., 2012. Particuliarities of the Romnian Welfare state, Bulletin of the Transilvania University of Bra§ov, Vol. 5 (54), No. 1, Series V: Economic Sciences, Brasov.
- European Commission, Addressing youth unemployment in the EU, Catalogue N.: KE-02-15-605-EN-N, 2015.
- European Commission. 2016. Evaluation of the EU Youth Strategy and the Council Recommendation on the mobility of young volunteers across the EU Final Report Executive Summary, Luxembourg, pp. 1-5.
- European Commission. 2010. Communication from the Commission to the European Parliament, the Council, the European Economic and Social Committee and The Committee of the Regions, Youth on the Move An initiative to unleash the potential of young people to achieve smart, sustainable and inclusive growth in the European Union, COM(2010) 477 final, Brussels, pp. 3-4.
- European Commission. 2016. Communication from the Commission to the European Parliament, the Council, the European Economic and Social Committee and The Committee of the Regions, A NEW SKILLS AGENDA FOR EUROPE Working together to strengthen human capital, employability and competitiveness, COM(2016) 381, Brussels, 3 p.
- European Commission. 2010. Communication from the Commission to the European Parliament, the Council, the European Economic and Social Committee and The Committee of the Regions, The European Platform against Poverty and Social Exclusion: A European framework for social and territorial cohesion, COM(2010) 758 final, Brussels, 3 p.
- 2016. Newsletter Internet use by individuals Almost 8 out of 10 internet users in the EU surfed via a mobile or smart phone in 2016… Different patterns across Member States in managing personal information, 260/2016, 1 p.
- Kiss, F., Cocheci D., 1993. Economie contemporana. Introducere in Micro- si Macroeconomie – note de curs, Cluj- Napoca, pp. 98-101, pp. 157-167.
- Council of the European Union and European Commission. 2012. NOTICES FROM EUROPEAN UNION INSTITUTIONS, BODIES, OFFICES AND AGENCIES, COUNCIL, EUROPEAN COMMISSION, Joint Report of the Council and the Commission on the implementation of the renewed framework for European cooperation in the youth field (201018), Official Journal of the European Union, 2012/C 394/03, pp. 394/6.
- Pascouau, Y., 2013. Intra-EU mobility: the ‘second building block’ of EU labour migration policy, Issue Paper No. 74, May 2013, pp. 1-11.