The urgency of the research is driven by the need to select and apply such scientometric tools to estimate scientific and academic productivity of scholars from classical universities that are relevant to current economic environment in Ukraine and the entrepreneurial university model.
The main approach to this research is based on systemic analysis of the modern scientific thought condition against estimation of scholars’ productivity; comparative analysis of scientometric Scopus, Web of Science and Google Scholar bases; determination of efficiency from applying commercial and free scientometric bases under entrepreneurial university model. This article aims at detecting an opportunity and viability of applying Google Scholar free scientometric base to estimate scholars’ productivity at classical universities in the context of Ukrainian environment.
Based on the research results obtained, the hypothesis on association between h-index in Scopus and Google Scholar values for scholars of STEM and natural disciplines from classical universities has been proved. In addition, this article provides theoretical facts that evidence another hypothesis on an opportunity to design the so called h-index in ProxyScopus for scholars of socio-economic and humanitarian disciplines from classical universities. This approach allows improving efficiency of budget allocation for universities as well as productivity of the scholars, but also meets principles of entrepreneurial university framework.
The article materials can be of great interest for management of classical universities, state education agencies on education and science as well as scholars and experts in the field of management of entrepreneurial universities.
Key words: h-index; bibliometrics; entrepreneurial university; classical university; metric to estimate scholar productivity; eurointegration.
- World Data Atlas. 2018. “Ukraine.- Gross domestic product per capita based on purchasing-power-parity in current prices”, Available at: https://knoema.ru/atlas/%D0%A3%D0%BA%D1%80%D0%B0%D0%B8%D0%BD%D0% B0/%D0%92%D0%92%D0%9F-%D0%BF%D0%BE-%D0%9F%D0%9F%D0%A1-%D0%BD%D0%B0-%D0%B4%D1%83% D1%88%D1%83-%D0%BD%D0%B0%D1%81%D0%B5%D0%BB%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%B8%D1%8F?compareTo= PL,BY,RU (accessed at 20 June 2018).
- Hirsch, Jorge E., 2005.”An index to quantify an individual’s scientific research output”, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, Available at: DOI https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0507655102 (accessed at 20 June 2018).
- Peer review of the Ukrainian research and innovation system. Horizon 2020 policy support facility – Study. 2017. Available at: DOI: 10.2777/095726 (accessed at 20 June 2018).
- The Ministry of Education and Science. 2017. Order 12.04.2017 № 590 “About competitive selection of projects of scientific researches and developments” (2017) Available at: http://old.mon.gov.ua/files/normative/2017-04-28/7336/ nmo-590-1.pdf (accessed at 20 June 2018).;
- The Ministry of Education and Science proposes for the public discussion the draft order “On approval of amendments to the order of the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine dated 10.2012 № 1112” Available at: https://mon.gov.ua/ua/news/mon-proponuye-dlya-gromadskogo-obgovorennya-proekt-nakazu-pro- zatverdzhennya-zmin-do-nakazu-ministerstva-osviti-i-nauki-ukrayini-vid-17-zhovtnya-2012-roku-1112 (accessed at 20 June 2018).
- Bykov V.Iu., Soroka N.V., 2015.”Risks of introduction of the electronic bibliometric systems of evaluation of the activity of researchers”, Informatsiini tekhnolohii i zasoby navchannia, 48, no. 4, pp. 3 – 13.
- Mazov N.A., Hureev V.N., 2015.”Alternative approaches to the evaluation of scientific results”, Vestnyk Rossyiskoi akademyy nauk, vol. 85, no. 2, pp. 115–122.
- Harzing, Anne-Wil and Alakangas, Satu. 2016. Google Scholar, Scopus and the Web of Science: a longitudinal and cross-disciplinary Scientometrics, 106 (2). pp. 787-804. ISSN 0138-9130 Available at https://doi.org/10.1007/s11192-015-1798-9 (accessed at 20 June 2018).
- Bauer, Kathleen, Bakkalbasi, Nisa. 2005.”An Examination of Citation Counts in a New Scholarly Communication Environment”, D-Lib Magazine, 2005, September, vol. 11, no. 9. Available at: http://dlib.org/dlib/september05/ bauer/09bauer.html (accessed at 20 June 2018).
- Harzing, Anne-Wil & van der Wal, 2008. “Google Scholar as a New Source for Citation Analysis”, Ethics in Science and Environmental Politics. Vol. 8. pp. 61-73. Available at: http://www.int-res.com/articles/esep2008/8/e008pp5.pdf (accessed at 20 June 2018)
- Burton R. Clark, 1998.”The entrepreneurial university: Demand and response”, Tertiary Education and Management, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 5-16. Available at: https://doi.org/10.1080/13583883.1998.9966941 (accessed at 20 June 2018)
- Hardy Loh Rahim, Razmi Chik, and other, 2015.”Entrepreneurial University: A Case of Universiti Teknologi MARA”, International Academic Research Journal of Social Science, vol. 1(2) pp. 224-231. Available at: https://researchgate.net/profile/Mohd_Ali_Bahari_Abdul_Kadir/publication/287865951_Entrepreneurial_University_A_ Case_of_Universiti_Teknologi_MARA/links/567a2f3908aeaa48fa4af1ff/Entrepreneurial-University-A-Case-of-Universiti- Teknologi-MARA.pdf?origin=publication_detail (accessed at 20 June 2018)
- Deresh Ramjugernath, 2015.”Six Key Elements of an Entrepreneurial University”, Eighth Annual International Conference 2015 on “Entrepreneurship Education for Economic Renewal”. Available at: http://smplacements.co.za/ 2015/11/six-key-klements-of-an-entrepreneurial-university (accessed at 20 June 2018)
- The World Bank. 2010. Vietnam New Model University Project. Available at: http://projects.worldbank.org/ P110693/vietnam-new-model-university-project?lang=en(accessed at 20 June 2018)
- Communication from the Comission to the European Parliament, the Council, the European economic and social committee and the committee of the regions European Comission. A Reinforced European Research Area Partnership for Excellence and Growth. Brussels, 17.7.2012. Available at: https://ec.europa.eu/research/science-society/document_library/ pdf_06/era-communication-partnership-excellence-growth_en.pdf(accessed at 20 June 2018)
- “A Research and Development Strategy for High Performance Computing”, Executive Office of the President, Office of Science and Technology Policy, November 20, 1987 Available at: https://gordonbell.azurewebsites.net/ CGB%20Files/FCCSET%20Research%20and%20Development%20Strategy%20for%20High%20Perf%20Com%20871120% pdf (accessed at 20 June 2018)
- Verkhovna Rada. 2015.”On ratification of Agreement between Ukraine and EU on Ukraine’s participation in EU Horizon 2020 Programme (2014-2020)” Available at: http://zakon2.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/984_018 (accessed at 20 June 2018)
- Daron Adzhemohlu, Dzheims A. Robynson. 2015. Pochemu odny strani bohatie, a druhye bednie. Proyskhozhdenye vlasty, protsvetanyia y nyshchety. Moskva, AST, 2015. – 696
- Soskin I., 2014.”Model of economic and business environment development: the logic of changes in the conditions of European integration”, Ekonomika pidpry`yemstva: teoriya i prakty`ka, Proceedings of the Conference, pp. 43-48. Available at: http://wiki.kneu.edu.ua/bitstream/2010/6665/1/Soskin.pdf(accessed at 20 June 2018)
- Verkhovna Rada. 1991: Law of Ukraine on Scientific and Resarch and Development Activities. Official Bulletin (Vidomosti) of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine, 1992, No. 12; Verkhovna Rada (2016): Law of Ukraine on Scientific and Resarch and Development Official Bulletin (Vidomosti) of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine, 2016, No. 3.
- Committee on Science and Education. Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine (2013) “On the Status and Legislative Provision of Financing Scientific, Scientific and Technical Activities”, Committee proceedings on March 13, 2013. Available at: http://kno.rada.gov.ua/news/mat_sl/73494.html(accessed at 20 June 2018)
- Oleksandr Yermochenko, 2017.”The Ministry of Education stated the critical level of funding for science”, 31 January 2017, 11:25 Ukrainski natsionalni novyny. Available at: http://www.unn.com.ua/uk/news/1640054-u-minosviti-zayavili-pro- kritichniy-riven-finansuvannya-nauki(accessed at 20 June 2018)
- The Ministry of Education and 2018. Order 15.01.2018 №32 “On Approval of the Procedure for the Formation of the List of Scientific Professional Publications of Ukraine”. Available at: http://search.ligazakon.ua/l_doc2.nsf/ link1/RE31600.html(accessed at 20 June 2018)
- The Ministry of Education and 2018. Draft of the Order 15.01.2018 №32 “On approval of amendments to the order of the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine dated October 17, 2012, No. 1112 “On the publication of the results of dissertations for obtaining the degrees of a doctor and a candidate of sciences”. Available at: https://mon.gov.ua/storage/app/media/gromadske-obgovorennya/2018/04/27/1.docx(accessed at 20 June 2018)
- Holly Else, Funding councils sign up to ‘responsible’ research assessment, Times Higher Education, February 7, 2018. Available at: https://www.timeshighereducation.com/news/funding-councils-sign-responsible-research-assessment
- The cost of knowledge. 2012. Available at: https://gowers.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/elsevierstatementfinal.pdf (accessed at 20 June 2018)
- Kulczycki, E., Rozkosz, A.E., 2017. “Does an expert-based evaluation allow us to go beyond the Impact Factor? Experiences from building a ranking of national journals in Poland”, Scientometrics, 111, pp. 417–442. DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/s11192-017-2261-x(accessed at 20 June 2018)
- Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences. 2011. Quality indicators for research in the humanities (Interim report by the Committee on Quality Indicators in the Humanities. Available at: http://www.researchtrends.com/issue-32- march-2013/evaluating-the-humanities-vitalizing-the-forgotten-sciences (accessed at 20 June 2018)
- An open letter to the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine regarding changes to the order on the evaluation of research 2018.Available at: https://www.petitions247.net/signatures/203462 (accessed at 20 June 2018)
- Scopus instead of science: is it necessary for Ukraine? 2018, Golos Ukrayiny, 01.06.2018 Available at: http://www.golos.com.ua/article/303608 (accessed at 20 June 2018)
- Kukharchuk , 2014.”Global scientometric system”, Bibliotechnyi visnyk, no. 5, pp. 7-11.
- 2017 Best Classical Universities of Ukraine – 2017. Available at: http://osvita.ua/vnz/ rating/25713/(accessed at 20 June 2018)
- 2017. How a consolidated university ranking is made – 2017. Available at: http://osvita.ua/vnz/ rating/25752/(accessed at 20 June 2018)