In this paper we utilize a stochastic differenced logistic process to model the annualized Kuwaiti GNPfor the year’s2002 to 2012 incorporating the world oil price collapse that occurred in the third quarter of 2008 late 2009 .The fitted stochastic differenced logistic model is then used to investigate the properties and behaviour ofKuwait real GDP given the impact of the 2008 price crash on short run economic growth.The derived stochastic differenced logisticaloutput is shown to be robust in terms of goodness of fit, capturing the “jump “effect of the oil price collapse on the real GDP. This approach is unique in estimating oil price shock effects on the GDP for oil export dependent economies. Finally, the approach delivers robust estimation parameters passing standard diagnostic tests.
Keywords: Differenced logistic process, Kuwaiti GDP, Simulated process, Residual Analysis, Goodness of fit.
- AL-Sayegh. Tax Reforms in the Kuwait economy,Mphil, Thesis Kuwait University March 2018.
- Aase, K.K., 1986. New option pricing formulas when the stochastic model is a combined continuous / pointTechnical Report No. 60, CCREMS, MIT, Cambridge, MA.
- Aase, K.K., 1986. Probabilistic solutions of option pricing and corporate security valuation. Technical Report 63, CCREMS, MIT, Cambridge, MA.
- Aase, K. and Guttorp, P., 1987. Estimation in models for security prices. Scand. Actuarial J., 3-4, 211-224.
- Burbidge, and Harrison, A., 1984. Testing for the effects of Oil Price Rises using vector Autoregression. International Economic Review, 25, 459-484.
- Darby, , 1982. The Price of Oil and World Inflation and Recession. American Economic Review, 72, 738-751.
- Hamilton, , 1983. Oil and Macroeconomy since Second World War. Journal of Political Economy, 91, 97-116.
- Johnson, L., Kotz, S. and Balakrishnan, N., 1994. Continuous Univariate Distributions, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, USA.
- Jones, and Kaul, G., 1996. Oil and Stock Markets. Journal of Finance, 51, 463-491.
- Karlin, and Taylor, H.M., 1981. Second course in stochastic processes. Academic press, Inc., London.
- Kaufmann, K., 1995. A model of the world oil market for project LINK: Integrating Economics, Geology, and Politics.Economic Modelling, 12, 165-178.
- Krautkraemer, A., 1998. Nonrenewable resource scarcity. Journal of Economic Literature, 36 (4), 2065-2107.
- MacMillin, and Parker, R., 1994. An Empirical Analysis of Oil Price Shocks in the Interwar Period. Economic Inquiry, 32, 486-497.
- Muth, F., 1961. Rational expectations and the theory of Price Movements, Econometrica, Vol. 29.No. 3[pp315-335]
- Mork, K., 1989. Oil and Macroeconomy when Prices Go Up and Down: An Extension of Hamilton’s Results. Journal of Political Economy, 97, 740-744.
- Kuwait Ministry of Finance. 2016. The country’s financial managements’ final account for the year 2015/2016. website: http://www.mof.gov.kw http// knoema.com World Data Atlas (2018/16) Central Statistical Bureau Kuwait