Authors: I. Mazur, Doctor of Sciences (Economics), Professor, ORCID ID 0000-0002-2441-8001, M. Buha, economist, Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Kyiv, Ukraine
Abstract: The article studies theoretical foundations for the essence of entrepreneurship and entrepreneur; specifics in defining the concept of “entrepreneur” by representatives of economic schools; four stages of formation of the theories of entrepreneurship, where the characteristic features of the entrepreneur that changed under the influence of socio-economic development (external environment) are analyzed.
Based on the economic characteristics of changes in the development of macro and micro levels, the emergence of new types of entrepreneurial activity – startups – is justified; a startup is defined as a fast-growing entity of small innovative entrepreneurship with a short-term history of operations, which operates in conditions of uncertainty and aims to create a fundamentally new product to meet the specific needs of consumers.
The logic of forming of the concept of entrepreneur-startupper in the structural scheme is substantiated; the characteristic of a startuper as a peculiar combination of transformed traits of an entrepreneur in accordance to the stages of development of the theory of entrepreneurship is given; the characteristic features of the startupper are revealed; the peculiarities of the functioning of startups in Ukraine are analyzed.
The characteristic of the special features of the startup entrepreneur is offered; further study of theories of entrepreneurship in accordance to the trends of the global economy under uncertainty, as well as the study of the features of development and functioning of new business entities – startups as a solution for unmet consumer needs and how to use modern technologies to create a new product, are justified.
Keywords: entrepreneur, startup, entrepreneurship, history of economic thought, theories of entrepreneurship.
1st Revision: 06/03/2020
- Donets I., Romanenko N. H., 2006. Basics of entrepreneurship. Tutorial. Kyiv: Educational literature Centre, 320 p.
- Cantillon , 2010. Essai sur la Nature du Commerce en Général (an English translation by C. Saucier). Auburn, Alabama: Ludwig von Mises Institute, 254 p.
- Smith , 2007. An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations. Metalibri, 743 p.
- Ricardo , 2001. On the Principles of Political Economy and Taxation. Ontario: Batoche Books, 333 p.
- Say -B. A., 1971. Treatise on Political Economy. Auburn, Alabama: Ludwig von Mises Institute, 492 p.
- Varnalii S., 2008. Small entrepreneurship: basics of theory and practice, 4thedit. Кyiv: Znannya, 302 p.
- Mill S., 2009. Principles Of Political Economy. 792 p. [online]. Available at: <http://www2.econ.iastate.edu/classes/econ521/orazem/Papers/Lazear_entrepreneurship.pdf>
- Shumpeter, А, 2008. The Theory of Economic Development. Moskow: Directmedia Publishing, 401 p.
- Knight H. Risk, uncertainty, and profit [online]. Available at:<http://www.econlib.org/library/ Knight/knRUP1.html>.
- Hayek, A. fon, 1948. Individualism and Economic Order [online]. Available at: <http://bc.math.msu.su/wiki/lib/exe/fetch.php? media=downloads:friedrich_august_von_hayek.pdf>.
- Kirzner M., 2001. Competition and Entrepreneurship (translation from English with the edition of prof. Romanova A. N. Мoscow: UNITI-DANA, 239 p.
- Kozlovskaia N., 2014. The Theory of Entrepreneurship Evolution in Economic Science. Vesci BDPU, 2, p. 98-101.
- Chepurenko The theory of entrepreneurship: new challenges and perspectives [online]. Available at: <https://www.research gate.net/profile/Alexander_Chepurenko/publication/282197997_Entrepreneurship_Theory_New_Challenges_and_Future_Prospects/links/ 5640780708ae4b5d28d42d6/Entrepreneurship-Theory-New-Challenges-and-Future-Prospects.pdf.
- Hisrich , Peters M., 1992. Entrepreneurship: Starting, Developing, and Managing a New Enterprise. translation from English. Moscow: Progress, 158 p.
- Baumol , 1993. Formal Entrepreneurship Theory in Economics: Existence and Bounds. Journal of Business Venturing, 8, p. 197–210. https://doi.org/10.1016/0883-9026(93)90027-3
- Lazear E. P., 2005. Entrepreneurship. V. 23, № 4, p. 649-680. https://doi.org/10.1086/491605
- Voloshyna O., Bruiev D. D., 2017. Evolution of Scientific View at Entrepreneurship Definition and Functions. Nauchnyi Vestnik DGMA, 2, p. 142–147.
- Software development in Ukraine: 2019-2020 IT market report, N-iX. [online]. Available at: <https://www.n-ix.com/software- development-in-ukraine-2019-2020-market-report/>.
- ТOP-10 Ukrainian startups that received world recognition, BakerTilly [online]. Available at: <https://bakertilly.ua/news/ id4 6363>.
- Mazur I., 2016. Entrepreneurship: practicum. Tutorial. Kyiv: Publishing and Printing Center “Kyiv University”, 263 p.
- Mazur , Gura V., 2018. Entrepreneurial culture as a background for the SMEs development Development of small and medium enterprises: the EU and East-partnership countries experience: monograph / [Britchenko I., Polishchuk Ye. and all] / Edited by Igor Britchenko and Yevheniia Polishchuk. Wydawnictwo Państwowej Wyższej Szkoły Zawodowej im. prof. Stanisława Tarnowskiego w Tarnobrzegu, p. 103-116.
- Blank , 2013. The startup. Owner’s manual, translation from English. Moscow: Alpina Publisher, 485 p.
- Thiel P., Musters B., 2018. Zero to One: Notes on Startups, or How to Build the Future, translation from English. Moscow: Alpina Publisher, 192 p.
- Ries , 2019. Business from zero, translation from English. Moscow: Alpina Publisher, 258 p.