Authors: N.Grazhevska, Doctor of Sciences (Economics), Professor, ORCID ID 0000-0003-2549-8055, А. Khodzhaian, Doctor of Sciences (Economics), Professor, ORCID ID 0000-0002-3015-1016, A.Zavazhenko, economist, Faculty of Economics, ORCID ID 0000-0002-3345-1671, Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Kyiv, Ukraine
Abstract: The authors proved that contrary to the global trends of development of science-intensive neo-industrial economy in Ukraine there is deindustrialization of the economy associated with outpacing growth of production and export of raw materials with a low level of technological processing and added value. The article examines the main factors of the deindustrialization of Ukraine’s economy, in particular, a significant degree of depreciation of fixed assets of industrial enterprises and production infrastructure, insufficient volume and unsatisfactory structure of capital investment to restore worn-out fixed capital, negative dynamics of foreign direct investment in the spheres of national economy such as innovations, etc. The authors also highlighted and analyzed the institutional factors influencing the industrial development of Ukraine, namely: the “presence” of the state in the economy, corruption and the shadow economy. The negative impact of the institutional environment on the innovative modernization of the national industrial sector was confirmed with the help of economic and mathematical modelling. The main directions of intensification of the state ‘s activity to overcome the institutional dysfunctions and traps formed during the period of market reform of the national economy are substantiated.
Key words: deindustrialization; institutional environment; institutional dysfunctions; neo-industrial economy; industrial policy.
1st Revision: 20/05/2020
- Procházka , Čermáková K., 2015, Influence of Selected Institutional Factors on the Economic Growth: Case Open Markets, Procedia Economics and Finance, V. 30, pp. 702-709.
- Kuder , 2015, Impact of Institutional Factors on Economic Growth in the United States in the Years 1979–2007, Oeconomia Copernicana, V. 6(1), pp. 137-159.
- Shabbir , Anwar M., Adil S., 2015, Corruption, Political Stability and Economic Growth, The Pakistan Development Review, V.55, pp. 689-702.
- Zhuravlyov V., 2016, Statistical modeling of transformations of the national economy in world globalization: institutional approach, Statistics of Ukraine, 3, pp. 11-17. URL: http://nbuv.gov.ua/UJRN/su_2016_3_4
- Vishnevsky P., 2016, National model of neo-industrial development of Ukraine: monograph. NAS of Ukraine, Institute of Industrial Economics, Kyiv, 518 p.
- Kinzersky V., 2017, Deindustrial paradox of economic transformations in Ukraine. Ukrainian Journal of Applied Economics, V. 2, pp.74-95.
- Kyzym O., 2011, Industrial policy and clustering of the economy of Ukraine: monograph. Kharkiv, Publishing house “Inzhek”, 304 p.
- Deyneko V., 2019, Institutional determinants of industrial policy: a cluster analysis of the world. Mind Journal , 7, pp. 2-16.
- Gaidai V., 2010, Theory of institutional changes D. North and problems of transition economies. Scientific works of Donetsk National Technical University. Series: Economic, 38(1), pp. 50–55.
- Gritsenko A., 2008, Institutional architecture. and the dynamics of economic transformation. Kharkiv, Fort, 928 p.
- Polterovich M., 1999, Institutional traps and economic reforms. Economics and mathematical methods. V.35, 2, рр. 1–37.
- Tarasenko D. , Shibaeva K.I., 2010, Institutional traps and ways out of them in a mixed economy during the reforms. Scientific works of Donetsk National Technical University. Series: Economic, 38(1), pp. 169-175.
- North , 2000, Institutions, institutional change and the functioning of the economy Kyiv: Osnovy,198 p.
- Ortina V., 2013, Modernization of the real sector of the economy as a strategic direction of the state’s industrial policy. Investments: practice and experience, 12, pp. 40–43.
- Trade and Development Report URL: https://unctad.org/en/pages/PublicationWebflyer.aspx?publicationid=2526
- Readiness for the Future of Production Report 2018 of The World Economic URL: http://www3.weforum.org/docs/ FOP_Readiness_Report_2018.pdf
- Sustainable Development Goals – Ukraine 2019 // Monitoring Report. – State Statistics Service of Ukraine, Ministry of Economic Development and Trade of Ukraine. URL: http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua/menu/st_rozv/publ/SDGs-MonitoringReport_v08_24.09.2019.pdf
- Energy intensity level of primary The World Bank Group World Development. URL: https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/EG.EGY.PRIM.PP.KD?end=2015
- Institute for Statistics (UIS) UNESCO Sustainable Development Goals “Science,technology and innovation”. URL: http://uis.unesco.org/ apps/visualisations/research-and-development-spending
- Monetary and financial October 2019. National Bank of Ukraine. URL: https://bank.gov.ua/statistic/sector-financial
- Khodzhaian А.О., 2011, Macroeconomic conditions for sustainable development of the national Theoretical and applied issues of economics: a collection of scientific papers, 26, рр. 128-141.
- Budget of Ukraine ᐈ State Budget of Ukraine – Ministry of URL: https://index.minfin.com.ua/ua/finance/budget/gov/.
- Transparency – CPI. – Overview. URL: https://www.transparency.org/research/cpi/overview
- Ministry of Economic Development, Trade and Agriculture of Ukraine -> Trends in the shadow URL: https://www.me.gov.ua/Documents/List?lang=uk-UA&id=e384c5a7-6533-4ab6-b56f-50e5243eb15a&tag=TendentsiiTinovoiEkonomiki
- State Statistics Service of URL: http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua