Authors: O. Udodenko, PhD Student, ORCID iD 0000-0001-7036-676X, National University of Kyiv-Mohyla Academy, Kyiv, Ukraine; ; Д. D. Dovgopoly, MBA, ORCID iD 0000-0002-8479-2986, International Institute of Management, Kyiv, Ukraine; V. Ivanenko, PhD Student, ORCID iD 0000-0002-1212-898X, Taras Shevchenko National University, Kyiv, Ukraine
Annotation: Venture industry itself is risky, full of surprises and requires attention. Information is a new air, but it can be used in different ways, and sometimes might be harmful for the market. COVID-19 is a perfect example that happened only half a year ago: internet and media were overdosed with materials predicting the future of all VC industry and startups market. Eventually, all this data could influence a company with premature decisions and intensify the crisis. That’s why it is crucially important to define and understand the media landscape. For this purpose, one of the methods of automatized linguistics is being used – sentiment-analysis. During the study, we confirmed the hypothesis of changes in the dynamics of emotional coloring of investors’ publications under the influence of difficult-to-predict events in the long run. The main trends in terms of geography, investment industries, investment stage and average investment were described. In addition, a parallel with 2008 was found, which is another signal of the approaching new economic crisis. The results of the study are of high public importance, as they revealed the problem of the lack of resilience of the industry to emotional shocks and viral spread among participants in the ecosystem. Depending on the studied data sections, investors and founders of startups are able to properly adjust their long-term development strategies.
Key words: venture capital; sentiment analysis; startups.
Recei ved: 06/06/ 2020
1st Revision: 22/07/2020
Accepted: 15/08/ 2020
1. Williams C. and Gulati G., 2009. What is a Social Network Worth? Facebook and Vote Share in the 2008 Presidential Primaries. Annual Meeting of the American Political Science Association.
2. Diegel W., Moritz A. and Block J., 2020. Measuring Venture Capital Sentiment In Europe. [online] Available at: <https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-17612-9_6> [Accessed 5 October 2020].
3. Tumasjan A., Braun R. and Stolz B., 2019. I Gotta Feeling: How Twitter Sentiment Predicts Venture Capital Valuations of Technology
Startups. [online] Available at: < https://doi.org/10.5465/AMBPP.2019.11887abstract.> [Accessed 5 October 2020].
4. Antretter T., Blohm I., Grichnik D., Wincent J., 2019. Predicting new venture survival: A Twitter-based machine learning approach to
measuring online legitimacy. [online] Available at: <https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbvi.2018.e00109> [Accessed 5 October 2020].
5. Acs Z.J., Armington C., 2006. Entrpreneurship, Geography and American Economic Growth. Cambridge University Press.
6. Go A., Bhayani R., Huang L., 2009. Twitter sentiment classification using distant supervision. CS224n: Natural Language Processing
with Deep Learning.
7. Pennington J., Socher R., Manning C., 2014. GloVe: Global Vectors for Word Representation. [online] Available at: <https://nlp.stanford.edu/pubs/glove.pdf> [Accessed 5 October 2020].
8. Köhn A., 2018. The determinants of startup valuation in the venture capital context: a systematic review and avenues for future
research. [online] Available at: <https://doi.org/10.1007/s11301-017-0131-5> [Accessed 5 October 2020].
9. BBC News, 2020. Coronavirus: Wuhan Shuts Public Transport Over Outbreak. [online] Available at: <https://www.bbc.com/
news/world-asia-china-51215348> [Accessed 5 October 2020].
10. World Health Organization, 2020. Statement on the second meeting of the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee
regarding the outbreak of novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV). [online] Available at: <https://www.who.int/news-room/detail/30-01-2020-
coronavirus-(2019-ncov)> [Accessed 5 October 2020].
11. New York Post, 2020. WHO says Europe is new epicenter of coronavirus pandemic. [online] Available at: <https://nypost.com/2020/03/13/who-says-europe-is-new-epicenter-of-coronavirus-pandemic/> [Accessed 5 October 2020].
12. United Nations News. 2020. Still ‘a long way to go’ in coronavirus battle, WHO chief warns. [online] Available at: <https://news.un.org/en/story/2020/04/1062372 22.04.2020> [Accessed 5 October 2020].
13. Cannice M., 2019. Confidence among Silicon Valley Venture Capitalists Q3 2017–Q4 2018: Trends, Insights, and Tells. [online]
Available at: <https://doi.org/10.3905/jpe.2019.1.080> [Accessed 5 October 2020].
14. Nimala K., Jebakumar R., Saravanan M., 2020. Sentiment topic sarcasm mixture model to distinguish sarcasm prevalent topics
based on the sentiment bearing words in the tweets. [online] Available at: <https://doi.org/10.1007/s12652-020-02315-1> [Accessed
5 October 2020].
15. Robinson R., Pearce J., 2017. Evolving Strategy in the Venture Capital Industry: An Empirical Analysis. [online] Available at: <https://doi.org/10.5465/ambpp.1984.4978214> [Accessed 5 October 2020].