Authors: A. Zhukovska, PhD in Economic Sciences, Associate Professor, ORCID ID 0000-0003-0891-1952, West Ukrainian National University; O. Dluhopolskyi, Doctor in Economic Sciences, Professor, ORCID ID 0000-0002-2040-8762, West Ukrainian National University, Ternopil Volodymyr Hnatiuk National Pedagogical University; O. Koshulko, Lancaster University M.A. Degree in Economy and Society, ORCID ID 0000-0003-1571-2695, PhD in Economic Sciences, Associate Professor, Alfred Nobel University.
Annotation: Globalization, which became widespread in the late twentieth – early twenty-first century, has led to large-scale changes associated with deepening the interdependence of national economies and their interpenetration, the formation of international industrial complexes beyond national borders, weakening the ability of nations to form independent economic policies. intensification of the movement of goods, capital, labor resources, the creation of institutions of interstate regulation of global problems, the attraction of the world economy to common standards, values, principles of operation based on the ideas of universalism.
Universalism recognizes freedom and justice as more important values. Instead, sovereignty, which spread as a fundamental current at the beginning of the XXI century, is opposed to international law and emphasizes that the national interests of states are more important than the ideals of civilization (the interests of mankind).
The article aims are to deepen the theoretical understanding of the processes of strengthening sovereignty in response to the global pandemic COVID-19 because the state’s membership in any supranational association directly affects its sovereignty in its classical sense.
The basis of the research methodology is a scientific description and logical-deductive approach, illustrated by empirical cases from around the world. Data from statistical organizations, including the United Nations, the World Health Organization, the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development, the Council of the European Union, and national health institutions from different countries of the world, were used to analyze the progress of the COVID-19 pandemic and the response of national economies to its effects, as well as analytical reports of the World Economic Forum and the countries of the world, including the countries of the European Union and Ukraine.
The study found that there is a continuing confrontation in the world between the spread of sovereignty and the ideas of globalism in the current pandemic and only time will tell which of these theories will eventually gain dominance as a policy. However, according to the results of the study, the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic is largely due to the development of globalization, the openness of world economies, as well as the growing competitiveness of national economies.
Keywords: COVID-19, sovereignty, public policy, unification, globalism.
1st Revision: 12/04/2021
- Alhash, V., Pittel, A. (2019). Suchasna mihratsiina kryza yak vyklyk dlia Yevropeiskoho Soiuzu [The current migration crisis as a
challenge for the European Union]. Pidpryiemnytstvo, hospodarstvo i pravo [Entrepreneurship, economy and law], 12, P. 334-338.
- Barygin, I.N. (2009). Mezhdunarodnoe regionovedenie: teoriya i praktika [International regional studies: theory and practice]. SPb.,
- Baryshnikov, V.N., Vozgrin, V.E., Goncharova, T.N., Evdokimova, N.P., Klimova, G.S., Sidorenko, L.V., Sokolov, O.V., Plenkov,
O.YU., Fokin, V.I. (2016). Ot nacional’nyh gosudarstv k edinoj Evrope: problemy evropejskoj integracii v XIX-XXI vv. [From nation-states to a united Europe: problems of European integration in the XIX-XXI centuries]. SPb., 620 s.
- Vallerstajn, I. (2008). Evropejskij universalizm: ritorika vlasti [European universalism: the rhetoric of power]. Prognozis [Forecast],
- Voronkova V.H. (2008). Hlobalizatsiia yak protses universalizatsii stosunkiv mizh derzhavoiu ta rynkom [Globalization as a process
of universalization of relations between the state and the market]. Humanitarnyi visnyk Zaporizkoi derzhavnoi inzhenernoi akademii [Humanitarian Bulletin of Zaporozhye State Engineering Academy], 35, 15-35.
- Glava VOZ opisal chetyre scenariya rasprostraneniya pandemii koronavirusa [The head of WHO described four scenarios for the
spread of the coronavirus pandemic]. https://nv.ua/world/geopolitics. (accessed 10 November 2020).
- Grachev, N.I. (2012). Politicheskaya globalizaciya i gosudarstvennyj suverenitet [Political globalization and state sovereignty].
Vestnik Volgogradskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta [Bulletin of Volgograd State University]. Series 5, 1(16), 20-26.
- YeS vyznachyv try kryterii dlia zakryttia vnutrishnikh kordoniv cherez pandemiiu [The EU has identified three criteria for closing internal borders due to the pandemic] (2020). https://4studio.com.ua/novyny/yes-vyznachyv-try-kryteriyi-dlya-zakryttya-vnutrishnih-kordonivcherez-pandemiyu. (accessed 27 October 2020).
- Karantyn [Quarantine] (2020). https://www.pharmencyclopedia.com.ua/article/3440/karantin.
- Koronavirus u sviti: Velykobrytaniia za kilkistiu khvorykh vyperedyla Arhentynu [Coronavirus in the world: Britain is ahead of Argentina in the number of patients]. https://dyvys.info/2020/11/13/koronavirus-u-sviti-velykobrytaniya-za-kilkistyu-hvoryh-vyperedyla-argentynu. (accessed 27 November 2020).
- Koronovirus: statistika po stranah [Coronavirus: country statistics]. https://index.minfin.com.ua/reference/coronavirus/geography/
?sort=country. (accessed 27 March 2021).
- Lokshin, I. (2020). Karta kul’turnyh cennostej Ronal’da Inglharta [Ronald Inglehart’s cultural heritage map]. https://postnauka.ru/
wtf/154916. (accessed 27 October 2020).
- Maksak, H. (2018). Rozkol za liniieiu mihratsii: yak kryza kilkarichnoi davnyny z novoiu syloiu bie po YeS [The split along the migration line: how the crisis of several years ago is hitting the EU with new force]. Yevropeiska Pravda [European Truth], 6 July.
https://www.eurointegration.com.ua (accessed 27 October 2020).
- Metiuz, D. (2018). Ekolohiia demokratii. Yak staty sylnishymy, shchob samym formuvaty svoie maibutnie [Ecology of democracy.
How to become stronger to shape your own future]. K.: Stylos, 266 s.
- Minakov, M. (2020). Bezzapadnost’ i problema universalizma [Westlessness and the Problem of Universalism] Koine Community
Works on WordPress [Koine Community Works on WordPress]. https://www.koine.community. (accessed 11 November 2020).
- Minakov, M. (2020). Pandemiya COVID-19 i politicheskie ochertaniya budushchego [The COVID-19 pandemic and the political outlines of the future]. http://www.eedialog.org/ru/2020/05/22. (accessed 11 November 2020).
- Reagirovanie na krizis, vyzvannyj pandemiej COVID-19, s pomoshch’yu konkurentnoj politiki [Responding to the COVID-19 crisis
with competition policy] (2020). Prilozhenie k vypusku po konkurentnoj politike v Vostochnoj Evrope i Central’noj Azii [Supplement to the issue on competition policy in Eastern Europe and Central Asia]. https://www.oecd.org/daf/competition/supplement-oecd-gvh-newsletter15-july2020-ru.pdf. (accessed 27 October 2020).
- Senokosov, YU.P. (2016). Kul’tur mnogo, civilizaciya – odna [There are many cultures, but one civilization].
http://i.civiceducation.ru/story/31264. (accessed 10 November 2020).
- Spisok stran po naseleniyu [List of countries by population]. https://ru.wikipedia.org. (accessed 11 November 2020).
- Uriad YeS zaprovadyv yedyni pravyla dlia peremishchennia Yevropoiu pid chas pandemii koronavirusu [The EU government has
introduced uniform rules for the movement of Europe during a coronavirus pandemic]. https://ua.112.ua/svit.
- Hajrullin, E.R. (2017). Suverenitet v usloviyah globalizacii: sushchestvuet li «transformaciya»? [Sovereignty in the context of globalization: is there a “transformation”?]. Chelovek i obshchestvo v sisteme sovremennyh nauchnyh paradigm [Man and society in the system of modern scientific paradigms], 1(3), 23-27.
- Yakoviuk, I.V. (2014). Derzhavnyi suverenitet. Teoriia derzhavy i prava [State sovereignty. The theory of state and law]. Kh.: Pravo,
- Coronavirus (2020). European roadmap shows path towards common lifting of containment measures.
https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/IP_20_652. (accessed 10 November 2020)
- Dluhopolskyi, O., Dluhopolska, T., Farion, A., Karp, I., Zhukovska, A., Kryvokulska, N. (2019a). The implementation of the eHealth
system and anticorruption reforms (case of EU countries for Ukraine) // 9th International Conference on Advanced Computer Information Technologies (5-7 June, 2019). Ceske Budejovice, Czech Republic, 346-349.
- Dluhopolskyi, O., Koziuk, V., Ivashuk, Y., Klapkiv, Y. (2019). Environmental welfare: quality of policy vs. society’s values //
Problemy Ekorozwoju / Problems of Sustainable Development, 14(1), 19-28.
- Dluhopolskyi, O., Zatonatska, T., Lvova, I., Klapkiv, Y. (2019). Regulations for returning labour migrants to Ukraine: international
background and national limitations // Comparative Economic Research. Central and Eastern Europe, 22(3), 45-64.
- European Council (2020). Joint European Roadmap towards lifting COVID-19 containment measures. https://cutt.ly/xhjbZQN.
(accessed 15 November 2020)
- Future Possibilities Report (2020). United Nationals Organization. http://wdc.org.ua/uk/covid19-transformation-after-pandemiceurope. (accessed 10 October 2020)
- Gauchon, P. (2019). Une autre Europe est-elle possible? Presentation du dossier // Conflicts, 21.
- Global Index of Economic Openness (2019). https://li.com/reports/global-index-of-economic-openness-2-2. (accessed 10 November 2020)
- KOF Globalization Index (2019). https://gtmarket.ru/ratings/kof-globalization-index.
- Koshulko, O. (2020). The pandemic of 2020 and Ukrainian Labor Migration to Europe. Proceedings of the International Scientific
Conference “Management 2020” (8-9 October). “UNION – Nikola Tesla” University, Belgrade, Serbia, 81-83.
- Koziuk V., Dluhopolskyi O., Petruk, V. (2019). Globalization, innovation, and fragility of optimal fiscal zones: secessions risks of
Belgium, lessons for Ukraine // Ideology and Politics Journal (Secessionisms in Europe: Societies, Political Systems and International
Order under Stress), 1(12), 60-90.
- Koziuk, V., Hayda, Y., Dluhopolskyi, O., Klapkiv, Y. (2019). Stringency of environmental regulations vs. global competitiveness:
empirical analysis // Economics and Sociology, 12(4), 264-284.
- Koziuk, V., Hayda, Y., Dluhopolskyi, O., Kozlovskyi, S. (2020). Ecological performance: ethnic fragmentation versus governance
quality and sustainable development // Problemy Ekorozwoju / Problems of Sustainable Development, 15(1), 53-64.
- Kozlovskyi, S., Bilenko, D., Dluhopolskyi, O., Vitvitskyi, S., Bondarenko, O., Korniichuk O. (2021). Determinants of COVID-19 death
rate in Europe: empirical analysis // Problemy Ekorozwoju / Problems of Sustainable Development, 16(1), 17-28.
- Krasner, S. (1999). Sovereignty. Organized hypocrisy. Princeton: Princeton University Press, 280 p.
- Povitkina, M. (2018). Necessary but not sustainable? The limits of democracy in achieving environmental sustainability.
Gothenburg: University of Gothenburg, 100 p.
- Recommendation on a coordinated approach to the restriction of FreeMovement in response to the COVID-19 pandemic in the EU
and UK. https://twitter.com. (accessed 10 November 2020)
- Sapir, A. (2020). Why has COVID-19 hit different European Union economies so differently? // Policy Contribution, 18.
https://cutt.ly/7hjnXGq. (accessed 10 November 2020)
- The Global Competitiveness Report (2019). https://gtmarket.ru/ratings/global-competitiveness-index. (accessed 10 November 2020)
- Willetts, P. (2001). Transnational actors and International organizations in global politics // Baylis, J.B., Smith, S. The Globalization
of World Politics. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 356-383.
- World Health Organization (2020). https://covid19.who.int. (accessed 10 November 2020)
- Zeaiter, H., Kassem, M. (2017). Political freedom and growth // Journal of Developing Areas, 51(3), 139-152.