AuthorsB. Zasadnyi, Doctor of Economics, Associate Prof., ORCID ID 0000-0002-5308-7248,
Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Kyiv, Ukraine
O. Mykhalska, PhD of Economics, Associate Prof., ORCID ID 0000-0003-1921-6293, Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Kyiv, Ukraine
Y. Feshchenko, PhD of Economics, Associate Prof., ORCID ID 0000-0002-5673-7672, Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Kyiv, Ukraine,
A. Shapoval, Chartered Certified Accountant (ACCA), Internal Auditor, Goldman Sachs
Annotation: The article identifies the role of public sector accountants in creating value for the state and society and suggests ways to improve skills in making professional judgments. Public accountants should provide the necessary information for decisionmaking and check the current activities of public organizations. The accountant of the public sector institution informs the population and allows assessing the efficiency and cost-effectiveness of the institutions that provide public services. Thus, for an accountant working in public administration, it is essential to provide information primarily to meet the information needs of citizens, NGOs, and society in general, to determine the cost of maintaining these bodies – how much taxpayers work for civil servants.
At the same time, despite the existing problems and troubles, the accountant profession is constantly evolving in
response to the constant development of socio-economic relations, the introduction of new innovative technologies, and the
integration of society, which leads to growth, and organization in solving problems and advocating. Despite this key role of
accounting in the public sector, it is underestimated compared to scientific and professional accounting in the corporate sector.
The role of higher education institutions is to provide students with the skills necessary not only to enter the profession but also
to solve environmental, economic, and social problems. The role of professional accounting organizations is to develop the
profession as a whole – both in the private and public sectors. The factors of unfavorable influence on the development of the
accounting profession in the public sector are identified, and directions for increasing its prestige are proposed. The acquisition
of new knowledge and practical skills and the identification of barriers to the acquisition of relevant skills in accordance with
international best practices and standards contribute to the role of accountants in the public sector and increase their social value,
especially in the context of international practices.
Keywords: accountant; International Public Sector Accounting Standards; accrual method; public value; financial reporting.
1st Revision: 10/05/2022
1. ACCA The Accountancy Profession’s Role in Creating Public Value. Survey Report (2011). Available from: https://www.accaglobal.com ›
content › dam › acca › global › pdf › public-value-report.pdf
2. Ionescu, L. (2012). Principles and Hypothesis on Bureaucracy and Corruption Phenomena, Postdoctoral Research, Romanian Academy, Bucharest.
3. Feschiyan, D. (2013). The Process of Harmonization of Public Sector Accounting in the EU. Journal Economic Alternative, issue 4, pp. 62-72. Available from: https://EconPapers.repec.org/RePEc:nwe:eajour:y:2013:i:4:p:62-72.
4. Shvets V. (2014). Oblik i kontrol yak nauky i navchalni dystsypliny v oblikovo-analitychnii osviti. Visnyk Kyivskoho natsionalnoho universytetu
imeni Tarasa Shevchenka. Ekonomika. Vyp. 10. – S. 74-80 Available from: http://nbuv.gov.ua/UJRN/VKNU_Ekon_2014_10_16 [in Ukrainian]
5. Todericiu, R., Stanit, A. (2016). Knowledge management practices improvement in public sector administration. Review of General Management, Vol. 24, Issue 2, pp. 50-56. Available from: http://www.managementgeneral.ro/pdf/2_2016_5.pdf
6. Zaman G., Ionescu L. (2016). Fighting corruption generated by accounting. Case study Romania. Economic Computation and Economic Cybernetics Studies and Research, Vol. 50, Issue 2, pp. 247-261. Available from: https://ipe.ro/RePEc/cys/ecocyb_pdf/ecocyb2_2016p247-261.pdf
7. Heiling J. (2020). Government Accounting resembles Business Accounting: For the better? Conference: Guest lecture to the Cambridge University
MPhil students, Michaelmas DOI: https://doi.org/10.13140/RG.2.2.31088.48644
8. Jovanović T., Vašiček V. (2021). The role and application of accounting and budgeting information in government financial management process
– a qualitative study in Slovenia. Public Money & Management, Vol. 41, Number 2, 17 February 2021, pp. 99-106(8) DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/
9. Lovinska L. (2020). International standards in accounting system of Ukrainian state-owned enterprises. Finansy Ukrainy, Vol. 6, p. 75-92. DOI::
https://doi.org/10.33763/finukr2020.06.075 [in Ukrainian]
10. Pro skhvalennia Stratehii modernizatsii systemy bukhhalterskoho obliku ta finansovoi zvitnosti v derzhavnomu sektori na period do 2025 roku
Zatverdzheno Nakazom Kabineta ministriv Ukrainy. 20.04.2018. Number 437. Available from: http://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/437-2018- %D1 %80?find=1&text= %EA %EE %ED %F1 %EE %EB %B3 %E4 %EE %E2 %E0 %ED %E0+ [in Ukrainian]
11. First Time IPSAS Adoption: Lessons Learned (Ukraine Experience). Ministry of Finance, 16 June 2021. Available from: https://cfrr.worldbank.org/sites/default/files/2021-06/Country %20Experiences_UKR_HAPONENKO_ENG.pdf
12. Biudzhetnyi kodeks Ukrainy vid 21.07.2001 Number 2542. Available from: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/2542-14#Text [in Ukrainian]
13. COSO Internal Control – Integrated Framework: an Implementation Gude for Healthcare Provider Industry. January 2019. Available from:
14. Pro zatverdzhennia Poriadku provedennia otsinky vykonannia holovnym bukhhalterom biudzhetnoi ustanovy svoikh povnovazhen. Zatverdzheno
Nakazom Ministerstva finansiv Ukrainy vid 01.12.2011 №1537. Available from: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/z1460-11#Text [in Ukrainian]
15. Zakon Ukrayiny “Pro vyshchu osvitu”. 01.07.2014 Number 1556-VII. Available from: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/1556-18#Text [in
16. Shchodo zaprovadzhennia AS Ye-Zvitnist. Derzhavna kaznacheiska sluzhba Ukrainy. 31.01.2018. Number 14-08/94-1951. Available
from: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/rada/show/v1951840-18#Text [in Ukrainian]