Authors: N. Prykaziuk, Dr of Economics, Prof., ORCID ID: 0000-0002-7813-8590
Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Kyiv, Ukraine
A. Pohybil, Stud., Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Kyiv, Ukraine
Annotation: The article suggests methodological approaches to assessing financial stability of the banking system of Ukraine based on the use of
comprehensive and taxonomic indicators with FSI taken into consideration. The paper outlined comparative methodology allowed to test the
procedure of assessing financial stability to compare the practical effectiveness of the two methods. The proposed valuation methods, owing to their
clarity, data availability and, ease of implementation, were convenient and could be used by regulators, individual banks, and consumers of banking
services. It was emphasized that the issue of assessing the financial stability of the banking system was especially relevant in the context of new
realities that constantly pose new challenges.
Additionally, it was noted that the specific banking system has been particularly vulnerable to external factors, the influence and force of which it cannot control. As a result, the importance of the timely selection of an appropriate method for assessing the financial stability of the banking system makes it possible to identify weaknesses and trends in its dynamics to maximize the smoothing of the above factors. According to the comparative study was concluded that the taxonomic indicator method was more practical than the complex index, as it eliminated the risk of subjective contribution in the methodology of index development at the stage of providing weights for indicators. Also, the outlined method is authorized to apply the forecast component in the analysis and predict which direction financial stability will develop. The
conducted research allowed to identify trends in the development of financial stability of the banking system of Ukraine. The development of rapid practical methods for assessing financial stability of the banking system was shown to be promising in highlighting main trends in the dynamics of its state to quickly respond to the challenges of new realities.
Keywords: financial stability; banking system; financial stability indicators (FSI); complex indicator; taxonomic indicator.
1st Revision: 26/06/2022
References (in Latin): Translation / Transliteration / Transcription
1. Baranovskyi O. I. Bankivska bezpeka: problema vymiru. Ekonomika i prohnozuvannia. 2006. № 1. C.7–26.
2. Vovchenko O.S. Suchasni metodychni pidkhody do otsinky finansovoi stabilnosti banku. Naukovyi visnyk Poltavskoho universytetu ekonomiky i torhivli. 2016. № 5 (77). S. 161-169
3. Dziubliuk O. V., Mykhailiuk R. V. Finansova stiikist bankiv yak osnova efektyvnoho funktsionuvannia kredytnoi systemy: [monohrafiia]. 2009. 316 s.
4. Diakonova I. I., Mordan Ye. Yu. Doslidzhennia otsinky rivnia finansovoi stabilnosti yak skladovoho elementu mekhanizmu
derzhavnoho rehuliuvannia bankivskoi systemy. Biznesinform. 2015. № 1. S.302-306
5. Zvit Natsbanku Ukrainy za cherven 2020 roku pro finansovu stabilnist. URL: https://bank.gov.ua/ua/news/all/zvit-pro-finansovustabilnist-cherven-2020-roku
6. Klebanova T. S., Hurianova L. S., Chahovets L. O., Panasenko O. V., Serhiienko O. A., Yatsenko R. M. Biznes-analityka
bahatovymirnykh protsesiv: multymediinyi navchalnyi posibnyk. Kharkiv, 2020. URL: http://ebooks.git-elt.hneu.edu.ua/babap/index.html
7. Kuznetsova S.A. Bankivska systema: praktykum. 2014. 346 s.
8. Natsionalnyi bank posyliuie vymohy do kapitalu bankiv z 01 sichnia 2022 roku. URL: https://bank.gov.ua/ua/news/all/natsionalniybank-posilyuye-vimogi-do-kapitalu-bankiv-z-01-sichnya-2022-roku
9. Pohorelenko N.P., Sydorenko O.M. Monitorynh finansovoi stabilnosti bankivskoho sektoru. Financial and Credit Activity: Problems of Theory and Practice. 2014. № 1 (10). S. 61–68.
10. Prykaziuk N.V. Rozvytok strakhovoi systemy Ukrainy: dys. d-ra. ekon. nauk: 08.00.08 / Kyivskyi natsionalnyi universytet imeni T. Shevchenka. K., 2018. 535 s.
11. Prykaziuk N.V., Pohybil A.M. Otsinka finansovoi stabilnosti bankivskoi systemy Polshchi na bazi indykatoriv finansovoi stabilnosti
(FSI). Elektronnyi naukovo-praktychnyi zhurnal “Infrastruktura rynku”, 2021, № 51, p. 272-278. URL: http://market-infr.od.ua/journals/2021/51_2021_ukr/46.pdf
12. Compilation Guide on Financial Soundness Indicators. URL: https://www.imf.org/external/np/sta/fsi/eng/fsi.htm
13. Minsky H.P. The Financial Instability Hypothesis. The Jerome Levy Economics Institute of Bard College Working paper. 2012. №. 74. P. 10
14. Thuy Tu Pham, Le Kieu Oanh Dao & Van Chien Nguyen. The determinants of bank’s stability: a system GMM panel analysis. Cogent Business & Management. 2021. Vol. 8. URL: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/23311975.2021.1963390
15. Ukraine: Core FSIs for Deposit Takers. URL: https://data.imf.org/regular.aspx?key=61404590